Thread: 30 Cal Barnes TTSX 150gr

Default 30 Cal Barnes TTSX 150gr

Anyone loading these out there? I am curious to see how they shoot and how you like them.
    I currently have a 300 Rum and am using 200gr Noslers which shoot great out of my Model 700.
    I have an up coming Sheep hunt and am considering using the TTSX as I see that DT now loads them in the 300 in the 150gr.
    Have heard some good things about them on Elk so I am sure they would be fine for Sheep, just wondering if they are a finiky bullet or what.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=78991

Been working with the 168 grain TTSX. Not too happy compared to the Accubonds. I still have a little tweaking to do.

I have noticed a few people saying that their accuracy is not what they expected with the Barnes bullets. Are they that finicky to work up a load for? Is it a Barnes design? Or?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered a couple of box's from Double Tap that they load and I will find out soon enough.
    My 300 is a tack driver with 180 Noslers as well as 200 A Frames with Rem Factory stuff, so I am curious to see how these will work.

What's wrong with the 200-grain Accubond? It'll fly farther than the Barnes 150 grainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What's wrong with the 200-grain Accubond? It'll fly farther than the Barnes 150 grainer.
    Was looking for something a little flatter shooting and also want to see what kind of a hole these will make.

Barnes bullets will shed their petals at high velocities and a 300 RUM will push a 150 gr bullet at extremely high velocities. Mine pushes a 180 E-Tip at 3400 fps and I find the E-Tips very accurate in my rifle and that is a VERY flat shooting combo. The 180 E-Tips have a MUCH higher BC than
    the the 150 flat bases and you will not be able to tell the difference in trajectory out to 500 yds. And beyond that the E-tips will do much better. They are also a tougher bullet that will keep their petals at higher velocities than the Barnes bullets.

Checking the DT site, I don't see any 150 Barnes bullets listed. But I do see the 150 E-Tips listed with an MV of 3600 fps. They will also have a higher BC than the 150 flat bases and will be flatter shooting at all ranges, not to mention, they will hold up better on impact.

Just some food for thought.

-Mark

When ever there is a 300 RUM thread, Montana Rifleman is there.

I agree, why bother with a smaller bullet that has a lower BC. The 300 RUM shines with 180-200 grain bullets. The nosler accubond is hard to beat for a long range hunting bullet. High BC and not "extreme" velocities. I have been shooting the 180g E-tips at the range and they are doing great. My 300 win hates them but loves the 180 TTSX, go figure.

At any rate, the 150g barnes bullet at 300 RUM velocities is more than enough medicine for a sheep. It will likely fall over dead even if the petals fall off. If they shoot good, let us all know and we will all eat crow.