Thread: 310 grain Woodleigh user review (358 winchester load from DoubleTap)

Default 310 grain Woodleigh user review (358 winchester load from DoubleTap)

John Valgallas writes:

"Perfect feeding & function in my Ruger Hawkeye, about 1.5 MOA. (Probably me, not the ammo) Recoil just like my 45-70, and effect on Hogs up to 250 lbs. about the same on shoulder shots. Complete penetration, and DRT. Still looking for that 300 pounder. (Recommend a good recoil pad.) Has replaced my 45-70 because I can take longer shots, better B.C. and DT makes a good variety of other .358's increasing my versatility. Thanks, Mike!

Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]"

This would make a great bear protection round for the 358. It would penetrate like a spear and hit like a freight train if the shots were "close in your face" kind of work. It's amazing that a bullet this size could be loaded in a tiny short action carbine that's just over 6 lbs. The 358 is a serious cartridge for Alaska and should be regarded as such.

I just shot this bullet from my browning lever rifle and all I can say is oww!

If you try to shoot this bullet from a 6.5 lb. rifle, be prepared for some heavy recoil. the hard rubber recoil pad will have to be replaced with a pachmyer recoil pad, that is for sure. I didnt dare shoot this load with my scope as I was unsure of the possibility of getting "DoubleTapped" in the eyebrow. I was only able to get through one box before my shoulder turned to mush. Recovery from recoil to shuck the lever and put a quick secondary out the barrel was very fast, but I had to push myself to recover from the recoil and get back on target. There is a big difference between the felt recoil of this bullet, and a 250 grainer. Good luck to those who ever decide to load up with this bullet.......it'll rock your world, but whatever animal it's aimed at probably will too. I would not put this round through an older savage model 99 or model 88, it may be too punishing to the older actions and older wooden stocks, but this may very well just be opinion. There was a few times when i pondered that this recoil could crack an older walnut stock but it could be just that.........just pondering.

Default 35

Mainer do you know what powder charge this load uses? Im getting a 35 whelen soon and that bullet is interesting. You are right about the 358, its one of the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Mainer do you know what powder charge this load uses? Im getting a 35 whelen soon and that bullet is interesting. You are right about the 358, its one of the best IMO.
    I have NO clue! See yah in few though, when I come to whitehorse for an esquiff cargo canoe.........

Thumbs up

I believe all the older rounds in 35 and 338 can still be very nice hunting cartridges. Even the 357max with heavy bullets in a rifle is a good round

Default 310's in BLR

Mainer, I shoot a 358 BLR as well, and haven't gone above 250 gr., wondering if the action was up to it. Sounds like you're still in one piece, and don't have any concerns other than recoil.

Anyone else have experience with this combo? What about powder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I have NO clue! See yah in few though, when I come to whitehorse for an esquiff cargo canoe.........
    Who are you picking your Esquif up from??
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Who are you picking your Esquif up from??

I think the name of the outfit I was chattin with about pricing was "up north canoe" or something like that......but let's take this one to the canoe forum

Terry, I've had at least 7-800 rounds through this 358 and I have no worries. some folks have had valid concerns regarding the rack and pinion gearing of a blr but I have not had any issues or malfuntions. the 1:12" rifling twist appeared to stabilize the bullet just fine, but I can't speak on behalf of the 1:16" twist of a factory 35 whelen rifle barrel.

Hey Mainer_in_AK..

Good work on the square stern freightah canoe today at the shop... Good therapy for the shooter shoulder ~

Now ya need to go shootin' again to blow the MEK and adhesives outta your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Hey Mainer_in_AK..

Good work on the square stern freightah canoe today at the shop... Good therapy for the shooter shoulder ~

Now ya need to go shootin' again to blow the MEK and adhesives outta your system.
    Thanks,

As a matter of fact, I think the sta-bond and MEK fumes will dull one's senses to a point where felt recoil could be minimized

I have an order in currently with Double Tap. I can add whatever ammo anybody wants. Free shipping to my door. His same factory pricing. I will need payment in full though to add you on. Thanks, Chris

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Thanks,

As a matter of fact, I think the sta-bond and MEK fumes will dull one's senses to a point where felt recoil could be minimized
    Wondered why a 300 grain 375 H&H was no bother...

The 458 Lott w/ full house 500 grainers in 16.5" BBL still rattles the jaw... not so bad on the shoulder, yet two days later leaves ya questioning if you had eaten a really tough 2 pound bag of Jerky.

Liked your CZ 9.3!!! That Lapua round looked like a winner... traditional soft-point tip, mechanically bonded 285 grain Mega is made to be simply reliable performer on game with respectable weight retention. Great set-up for anything Alaska!

Interesting looking round. I'd be more inclined to use it for mastadons and sabertooth tigers, but that's based on an assumption that Weldbonds would too heavily constructed for the velocity achieved in the 358 case. How fast is it scooting? Has anyone done any expansion testing?

Here is a better link to the Doubletap page. The one provided doesn't get there.

As for use in older guns, I'd have no qualms as long as it was loaded withing SAAMI pressure specs. I've never had an old boomer crack it's stock under recoil, and I'm talking about lots bigger and badder recoil. In fact, it would be a prime candidate for lighter guns like my 99 or 88 specifically because of their utility as carry guns.

And yeah, I bet it does boot you. There's enough difference moving from 200's to 250's that a jump to 310 at just under 2100 would have to come back.

Love to see some recovered bullets and game reports!