Thread: new to me griz 660

Default new to me griz 660

well last night i was on CL and low and behold there was a 2002 griz for a $1000 to make a long story short it's mine . It has some extras on it to like 27 in 589s k&n filter , snow plow ect. runs great the only prob is rear cv boot is riped , no biggie there. Wow this rig has a lot more getup than my 500 sportsman.

Sounds like you got a smokin deal!

Default the bad

well after taking a closer look it looks like only one wheel is spinning in the rear , the side with the bad boot must be striped . any idiea what parts i'm going to need ?

I would bet you have a chicken boned shaft. Too much power and too much traction. Something will break in the middle. A friend has broken 2 of them. There are aftermarket stronger shafts available. Never jump it with power applied!

Congrats on the Grizzly. The 2002 - early 2004 Grizzly 660s were known to break CVs and axles. The stock replacements are often as expensive as the aftermarket versions. The most popular is "Gorilla" brand axles. Check out the web site in my signature below...those folks over there will help you out with all aspects of your Grizzly. Best and largest dedicated Grizzly site on the planet!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

This guy is just too lucky for words. At least on dry ground.

Grap the axle near the rear pumpkin and see if it is brokern. The right side is the one not driving if I am correct. The 27" tires will break the axle if you jump it and land wiht power applies. I went on ebay and got a heavy duty axle for well under the cost of one from the Yamaha dealer. I have two 2004 660 and yes dirt is correct that I replaced the same one twice. Once when I got it and once when my son jumped it (Not his fault, just riding on side of road and jumped off of driveway onto trail). I also have a electronic repair manual if you need a copy. I can burn it onto a disk and you can have it free.

pm me if interested and I can get it to you. See you on the trail

I have the same problem (sometimes) with my '06 660 Grizz. It's fine when I start out. I put it in 2wd and buzz up and down the road and both tires have power, but after a couple hrs on the trail, I notice the right rear won't pull. Same story, or is it something different?