Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Things!

Default Dumb Things!

In a previous thread Sockeye Sam mentioned bumping the wall at Freddie's and knocking off a piece of his skeg. Not funny when it happens, but I think we can all look back at years of boating and the dumb things that can occur.
    Had years of owning various jet drive boats. Never even thought of lifting a motor while loading at the ramp. Since I fell in love with PWS I purchased a Searunner to better serve me in the sound. On my first outing, I sure looked stupid dragging the motor halfway up the ramp. Bought one of those nice stainless skeg covers to cover up that one. I also now have a sticker on my dash "Motor up Dummy"

Anyone care to confess

Henry

Henry this laptop doesn't have the battery capacity for me to sit down and list all the dumb things I've done while dealing w/ the boat. The fortunate thing is I'm able to sit here and admit it because this is a dangerous game this boating. One minute you're fat dumb and happy boating w/ the family and one stupid decision (or indecision) and all of the sudden we've put them in peril...not to mention these dumb mistakes have cost me a fortune.. It was smart you put the sticker on your dash, do it once and its a dumb mistake, do it twice and you're a monumental idiot I'm a classic example of that

On a trip to the Russian a few years back my brother and his friend wanted to go. Neither had rod or reel so I "Loaned" out two of my good rods. After a successful day of fishing we returned to the truck, lifted the glass on the shell and lowered the tailgate to throw in our waders and my rods. I was all set to go when my brother and friend arrived at the truck. They didn't put the rods in the bed of the truck but under the truck . I didn't realize this until I ws unloading back in Anchorage.

And in another story from a couple years ago, my neighbor asked if I wanted to go fishing and I said sure. He was set to go so I threw my stuff in a large black trashbag as he was driving a nice clean new car. We went fishing and a few hours later returned home. I again threw all my stuff in the same black trashbag to keep the car clean. When I got home I threw the bag on the side of the house. A couple days later the wife asked me to take the extra trash bags on the side of the house to the dump. Without thinking that included my fishing waders, boots, and fishing box. I can still remember the sound of the bag hitting the ground at the Hiland Rd Dump in Eagle River.

I don't use black trash bags anymore.

After several similar incidents, we renamed my dad's boat HUNG2LOW. Took him a year to even notice the change on the stern!!!!

I'm sure there are more. A few years back I took some friends out for a deer hunting trip. I seem to always been in a hurry to get on the water, and forgot to raise the UHF attena. When I hit the mike for a radio check the radio went dead. A quick check of the fuses showed nothing, so I figured we'd be good to go with the handheald. That night I finally chased down the correct fuse.

Last year when we were fishing for silvers folks were breaking off the occasional mooching rig and getting tied up between 2 or 3 rods. I was in a hurry to get back to fishing myself, so quickly tied a mooching rig onto a bannana sinker and dropped it overboard to get back to fishing. I watched it sink down into the deep and was wondering why it wasn't pulling line off my reel. After a few seconds I realized I hadn't put the other end of the bananna sinker onto my line.

Oh, and if you are fishing near a point and one of the glacier cruise boats decides to cut between you and point, make sure you swing your bow around, as those suckers put out the biggest wake of any boat I've seen. Needless to say we took a wave over the transom

A couple years ago I was launching the boat by myself and when I got it in the water I couldn't figure out why it wasn't sliding of the trailor. As I was pulling back on the line I noticed the trailor moving with the boat, I had forgotten to unhook my tie down straps. Lucky for me it was early spring and nobody around to laugh at me .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    forgot to raise the UHF attena. When I hit the mike for a radio check the radio went dead. A quick check of the fuses showed nothing, so I figured we'd be good to go with the handheald. That night I finally chased down the correct fuse.
    Paul, I'm a little slow. Could you explain this?

I don't know why the load on the radio was different with the antenna in the down position, but it did blow the fuse. I haven't had any problems with the radio since replacing the fuse.

I'm sure an electrical engineer could explain why the antenna would draw more power in the down position.

Many moons ago... drifting near a dock waiting for it to open so we can offload in a very light skiff. The conditions were such that the boat perfectly drifts near the dock. Well heck, no need to power up, I can jump. It's only 4 ft away...

Jump on the bow, jump towards the dock, I made it about 1 ft forward, the boat of course moves backwards, and I do a belly flop in front of several dozen tourists about 3 ft short of the dock.

Default Hahaha

Last year at Wasilla Lake I was testing the Trophy, as I was pulling up to the dock (no wind easy docking) I was slowly drifting RIGHT up to the dock when the wife decides she is going to jump to help me.

Couple things wrong with this.

1. I have a 18 inch or so bow rail she had to climb over
    2. She is 5 foot tall
    3. She didn't have BOTH her legs over the rail when she jumped

And the BIG one.........
    5. I was still like 6 feet from the dock.

Splash.

The look on my face? "Where the hell did the midget go?"

I laughed. I got in trouble too.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't know why the load on the radio was different with the antenna in the down position, but it did blow the fuse. I haven't had any problems with the radio since replacing the fuse.

I'm sure an electrical engineer could explain why the antenna would draw more power in the down position.
    Aluminum boat?
    If so the antenna could have arced to ground through the hull causing a short and popped the fuse.

Glass boat?

Wood/composite fiberglass, I have no idea why, but recall reading somewhere an electrical engineer mentioning how an antenna in different positions can have different electrical loads. Anyhoo, extra fuses and raising the antenna seems to do the trick

How about stupid things you've seen other people do? We spent last 4th of July in Deepwater bay, and there were ~1/2 dozen other boats. A couple of folks had rented boats from the folks in whittier. I guess the guys had gone out fishing leaving the wife and kids on shore. They were completely clueless that their dinghy would float away as the tide came in with a slight breeze from the shore, as they hadn't tied it to anything, and weren't paying any attention.

I sent one of my kids out in the kayak to retrieve it. We stuck one of the oars into the sand and tied the dinghy to it. They probably didn't even notice the fact afterwards.

Call me paranoid, but I'm partial to keeping a close eye on the boat and the dinghy whenever we go to shore.

Default I would have to say

Last year at Whittier.
    Some guy pulled his boat from his slip to the new dock and tied it off. He sat there for 30 minutes while waiting for his "friend" to get into town, the friend pulls his car down the ramp, unloads a small cooler (like 10 qt MAYBE) leaves his car on the ramp while he walks it to the boat. In the mean time the 10 trucks in line want to load/unload boats.
    The guy is asked to move his boat (at the head of the ramp too) so others can use it and he refuses.
    The friend FINALLY goes and parks his car. They spend 10 more minutes swapping the boat ends around (so it was facing out) they play around some more ( Oh and BTW the tide is going out)
    Finally he starts his boat, engages forward... and everyone else there starts hooting, hollaring and clapping as he grinds his propeller on the ramp ( I did mention the tide was going OUT)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I sunk a jet boat the first season of guiding (dinged a rock cracked a weld, fished all day, parked the boat came back and it was sunk)

What I didn't do is start a wildfire on Afognak
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

What I didn't do is start a wildfire on Afognak

Now why in the world would you even bring that up. Has that been mentioned before?

Hmmmmmmmm, feeling a bit awkard about torching the place

So did you sink the jet boat before or after you burned the place down
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Of course the plug is in...........................15 minutes later and rising water, its in all right. In my pocket

Fishing on a friend's boat at Montague. I was backing across the deck as he helped me land a huge ling. He'd leaned his rod against the gunwale I was backing toward and I knocked it into the drink and saw it sink in slow motion. It was a brand new halibut rod and a brand new Avet reel. He was good enough to split the cost with me.

A few years ago in the winter me and a buddy were coming back from a shrimping trip. As I was pulling into my stall I said, "Jump on the dock and tie me up". Well, he took me literally and did a flying leap onto the dock before I was actually at the dock... He landed on the edge of the icy dock, flapped his arms a couple of times to try to get his balance, and then fell backwards into the water. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. He still blames me to this day.

Default Dual Skeg Guards For Me

I dont have the dashboard sticker for some reason being a
    first time boat owner and running a twin outboard saltwater ocean boat in AK for 9 years, I first damaged my skeg putting the boat away backing it up my steep drive way putting it away for the winter . My skeg dug into the asphault and bent enough to crack it and it broke over time. I have to remind myself to raise my engines to back it up that steep hill every fall. I do keep a checklist on my visor and check it every weekend now.

Here's another one from a few years back from my website....

A decade later we still argue about who was responsible....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast