Thread: Has Anyone Fished The Kasilof Lately ?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Has Anyone Fished The Kasilof Lately ?

My wife and I stopped by the launch at the highway yesterday on the way back from Homer.There was still some ice/snow on the launch but there were also tire tracks and footprints visible.On the edge of the river clarity was pretty good--12 to 15 inches--futher out the water had the glacial green going.In Wahington we'd call it steelhead green.
    Didn't go down to Crooked Creek to see if anyone was fishing,so my question is has any body drifted down from the highway yet looking for early KINGS ? And if so,what did you find ?I certainly got the itch,I'm sure others do as well.Any reports??????????
    By the way my wife out-fished me again-----she caught a nice 30 butt on her 1st cast out near the bluffs----I caught a star fish and a couple of Irish Lords.

I have a friend that was up there yesterday fishing the bank for steelhead and she did pretty well. She said she caught a couple and one was "really good sized".

I haven't heard of any kings yet, though, but I'd have to guess they're starting to enter the river, but maybe just not in catchable numbers. There are kings being caught at Whiskey Gulch, so they've got to be up to the Kasilof by now. Let's not forget that the world record king was caught in the Kenai in May (May 17, 1985) so there's no reason to suspect that you couldn't get into a nice king at this time of year.

BTW---when you say your wife caught a "30 butt on her first cast" were you fishing off the beach?

I haven't heard of any kings caught in the kasilof yet, but i'm sure there are a few making their way into the lower river at this very moment. They generally start showing up in catchable numbers by the middle of the month, however, in the last few years it has been very tough fishing until about june 1. Steelhead fishing was very good this past week at the Crooked Creek confluence area, but the upper river was very dissapointing - it seems as if the steelhead migrated downstream very early this year. Anyways... it's time to start thinking about Kings, but temper your expectations in freshwater for another week or two.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    Steelhead fishing was very good this past week at the Crooked Creek confluence area, but the upper river was very dissapointing - it seems as if the steelhead migrated downstream very early this year.

I am a newb to AK fishing. I have fished the Kasilof a few years ago for kings but I did not know there were steelhead in this river.

Correct me if I am wrong but what I gather from what you just said, the steelhead migrate downstream in the early summer....when do they return? Late Fall?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Tang View Post
    I am a newb to AK fishing. I have fished the Kasilof a few years ago for kings but I did not know there were steelhead in this river.

Correct me if I am wrong but what I gather from what you just said, the steelhead migrate downstream in the early summer....when do they return? Late Fall?

Thanks
    That is correct. Actually "spring" is when they head out. They start while there is ice still on the river---I used to fish there and have to walk out on the ice to get to the fishing--- and continue through the next few weeks. But pretty soon there will be plenty of kings in the river.

They used to have a steelhead stocking program in place, but they stopped it because they were finding Kasilof steelies that were actually going up into the Kenai instead. Steelhead love to eat salmon smolt and they were afraid if those steelies that were going into the Kenai took hold they might do some serious damage to the precious Kenai salmon runs.

Back in the day when we fished it hard,someone in our group would always pick a fish before may,my earliest was april 29,and on that year there were heads in the fish and game bucket before mine,i would guess there in,your just going to have to put in the time,work the tides....
    I ♥ Big Sheep