Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Speer 400 grain bullet and tough game

Default Thoughts on the Speer 400 grain bullet and tough game

What are your experiences using this bullet:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=448366

I have read that this is a handgun bullet and I have read this is a tough game bullet.

Thanks for the insight.

Ron

SD is .272

Don't know who told you it was a handgun bullet, but they're smoking funny cigarettes.

That's the "standard" Speer bullet for the 45-70. I can't recall if it's Hot Core or not, but it's been around so long and is so popular that I can't imagine they wouldn't have made the transition from standard cup and core.

I've used it a lot over the years in 45-70 @ around 1100-1200 fps and at 1600-1700. You definitely see the difference in expansion between the two velocity ranges, at least within 100 yards.

I've also put it in sabots in a 54 cal muzzleloader and pushed it to 1300-1400 fps with the same results. I don't do it any more, mostly because that particular rifle only weighs 6 pounds. With 120 grains of powder behind it, that bullet kills at both ends from such a light rifle.

It's also my standard bullet for my old original Mod 71 450 Alaskan. I'm pushing it right at 2200 fps and that's about as far as I'd consider going with it. It really whacks game and expands like crazy while retaining reasonable weight at that velocity. I've pushed it to 2350-2400 in 458's, but that's headed over the edge, velocity-wise in my experience. I don't think I'd push it any faster than that in more potent rounds.

I have had more disappointment from the Speer brand name than all other brands combined. At least that has been my experience with Speer. I stay away from Speer because of this at least since the 1960's. The hot core bullets have been notorious for slipping cores.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have to agree with BrownBear, however, Speer says it shouldn't be used over 1900fps. There really isn't a need to go faster than that. I've gotten ragged holes with this bullet at 100 yards from my Marlin. I use 50 grains of 3031. I've been shooting that bullet and load since 1980 and it is mundane but as good as you can get for those velocities. Jim

How does the Horn 350 RN stack up?

I have less experience with it. I've never put it in a tubular mag, so it's been bolts and single shots only- 458 Winnie and 460 Wby actually- and only a couple of head of game with each. It was okay in the 458, but I wasn't pushing it to max- seemed on par with the Speer 400. I whacked a deer with it at about 50 yards with a max load from the 460, too. Won't do that again. It "bombed," if you can picture what I mean without going into the gory (very gory) details.

Should be fine up to 2000-2200 fps. I know it's popular with a lot of guys heating up their 45-70's, so I'll let them describe their own experiences.

How do you like the 450 Alaskan?

Love it! It's my pride and joy, and early Johnson. Stocked just right for me, so there's no bite, even if I get lots of sway back when I shoot it. Kinda hard to keep the front foot on the ground if I don't shift my weight onto it, as a matter of fact. Straight stock and plenty of surface area on the butt, plus perfect LOP should be standard for stocking one, at least based on the range of size in shooters that have tried mine. It's knocked the holycrap out of a couple of guys when it was too long and they didn't know how to shoot heavier recoil. Lot easier on the shoulder for me than a Marlin GG with hot loads, just because the stock Marlins are a little small for me.

As far as the round goes, I'd have a hard time distinguishing between it and the 458 Winnie on game. Great carry gun, but I probably wouldn't use it past 150 or so on a hunt. I like being able to get the velocity within normal pressure range in a much larger case, rather than pushing the design limits on a Marlin with really hot 45-70 loads. Seen too many Marlins with ringed receivers.

Default 350

H 350 RN are hard to beat for an all around bullet in the 45/70. I have pushed them to 2200 fps with good results. The RN is not a problem in the tubular mag. I have shot thousands through mine. The 350 RN is the most accurate bullet out of my GG.

I was hoping you'd arrive Yukon, because I thought I recalled your experience and affection with the 350. Hard to beat hands on experience.

Here are a few pictures of the 400gr Speer shot into a block of white oak. They really expanded and seemed to stay intact. The lightest one weighed after digging it out was 375. I was shooting them through my M1895 45-70 with 46gr of IMR4198. Not sure about speed as I have chronied them yet, but they were very accurate. Scotty

Hmmmmph. I NEVER would have thought of white oak as a ballistic test medium, but some of those look a whole lot like the few I've managed to recover from game. I'm betting you weren't passing through 30 inches or so of oak, but that's what they look like after 30 inches or so of meat and bone. It's not till you get down below about 1300 fps that you see much shank at all. Gotta do some serious digging in my reloading room to see if I can find them for photos, but right now the place is a train wreck.

Love the photos. I will be pushing that bullet to 2200 fps.

Ron

I would imagine that is the upper end of that bullets strengths, but I think it should still do okay. The bullet seemed to stick together well, and nothing seperated, so that was good. I would think it would work great on deer, elk and moose if used responsibly. It is not a heavy hard cast bullet, but I think it would penetrate well and leave a great wound channel. My uses will probably just be deer and black bear. Hopefully I will get to give it a try this Fall. Scotty

Default 400 gr Speer .458

The Speer manual says these bullets have a relatively thin jacket. and are designed for 45-70 velocities. I think they are too soft for top velocity in the 458.

KB

So how about the 350 Hornady RN? I am looking from a good round for both moose and large brown bear..........

Ron

I've used the Kodiak 350's and they work wonderfully. Jim

With brown bear on the menu I'd take the Kodiak over either the Speer or Hornady. Haven't whacked a bear with any of them, but with heavier construction getting the nod, it would be Kodiak all the way.

Ron, the 350 Speer is a tougher bullet than the 400 grain. No experience here, just from what I've read.

What are you shooting it though? Unfortunatly, Speer says the 350 gr will not function well in a lever, I assume because OAL(the cannulure is placed wrong?)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast