Thread: Fairbanks to McCarthy in early June

Default Fairbanks to McCarthy in early June

Hi guys

I will be arriving in Fairbanks on the 3rd of June, destination McCarthy. I know that there are scheduled flights to McCarthy from both Glenallen and Chitina, but I was wondering if it was possible to somehow charter a plane to take us (there will be 3-4 of us) the whole distance, including perhaps a short flightseeing session around McCarthy.

Thanks in advance!

Im sure you could charter a flight. I dont know how far it is from Fbx but from anchorage a rough guesstimate is about 2.5hrs each way. Figure on flying in a 206 or 207. So a rough estimate would be about $2000. Of course it will be more if you want the plane/pilot to hang out on the ground while you are in McCarthy. Or if you want the plane to come back, figure another $2000.

If the prices didnt scare you away and you want to fly out of Anchorage, PM me and I will run the numbers and tell you exactly how much and who in town is the best price.

AK

Default Flying into McCarthy

You have two flight services in McCarthy that can be chartered. Arranging a flight in from Fairbanks is possible, and you can custom build an amazing flight seeing trip with your travel into McCarthy.

These are the two flight services in McCarthy:
    Wrangell Mountain Air. 1 907 554-4411 www.wrangellmountainair.com
    McCarthy Air: 1 907 554-4440 http://mccarthyair2.com

WMA does the three times a day round trip from Chitina as well as flight seeing. McCarthy Air does charters and flight seeing trips.

Both companies are excellent and highly recommended.

Services in town open May 15th and end September 15th each year.

You should plan on staying at least 2 nights in the area. McCarthy is the restored ghost town where the locals and visitors spend the evening, Kennicott is where everyone enjoys the mill town during the day. If you are looking to experience the local bush community, the saloon in McCarthy is the local hangout. 3 restaurants and a grocery store in the town of McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MXY Lodge View Post
    ...3 restaurants and a grocery store in the town of McCarthy.
    Thanks for the advice!

One unrelated thing im wondering about is the food situation. I read somewhere that I should stock up on that in Glenallen because it would be difficult finding anything in McCarthy but since you mention a grocery store im assuming this is not that big a problem after all?

Cheers!

It is a very small grocery store. Think old country store. Little better than a convenience mart, but not much. There is package liquor though!