Thread: July 2010 Trip Agenda

Default July 2010 Trip Agenda

So I thought I would post my trip agenda and get everyones opinions, advice and recommendations. I am taking a self-guided trip with 4 other family members. A good friend and long-time Anchorage native helped plan this trip.

Day 1: Resurrection Creek

Day 2: Russian River / Kenai River. Staying at the R.R.C.G.

Day 3: Homer; possible fishing day or sightseeing day.

Day 4: Depending how the fishing was, drive back to Russian River or Resurrection Creek

Day 5: Head towards Anchorage and fish Caswell Creek, Sheep Creek, Montana Creek, Byers Creek, Little Willow, Big Willow and/or Goose Creek

Day 6: Fish half the day with a friend... location T.B.D.

I have all done a fair amount of research on each location. If anyone can offer any advice or recommendations, it would be surely appreciated.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2 View Post
    So I thought I would post my trip agenda and get everyones opinions, advice and recommendations. I am taking a self-guided trip with 4 other family members. A good friend and long-time Anchorage native helped plan this trip.

Day 1: Resurrection Creek

Day 2: Russian River / Kenai River. Staying at the R.R.C.G.

Day 3: Homer; possible fishing day or sightseeing day.

Day 4: Depending how the fishing was, drive back to Russian River or Resurrection Creek

Day 5: Head towards Anchorage and fish Caswell Creek, Sheep Creek, Montana Creek, Byers Creek, Little Willow, Big Willow and/or Goose Creek

Day 6: Fish half the day with a friend... location T.B.D.

I have all done a fair amount of research on each location. If anyone can offer any advice or recommendations, it would be surely appreciated.

-Mark
    Looks like a good fishing fools vacation. I wish I'd done that about 22 years ago when I first came up here to visit.

If you'd like to see what was going on in those places last year check out these fishing reports: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...1.09-5.27.html. There is a lot of good first hand info there from people that were fishing those streams and rivers.

If you are planning on staying at the Russian it can get totally shut out at certain times of the year. It is very popular. You can check availability and reserve camp sites here: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ru...ex=CampingSpot.

One river you didn't mention there is the Kasilof. It can be really good fishing at that time of the year. It's a good river for kings when they show up and good bank fishing opportunities. Last year wasn't one of the best years in my memory, but you never know.

Homer has some great saltwater opportunities at that time of year. There are plenty of kings to be had out in the salt (see my fishing reports at the aforementioned fishing reports pages under "Coho Dave") and also good halibut, ling cod and rockfish fishing.

I'd say you have a pretty good handle on things there. The only problem I see is you should have planned about a month long vacation because you're going to have so much fin (pun intended) in that time you'll wish you'd taken a month.

Thats a whole lot of driving... Remember there will be construction, and drives will take longer than mapquest says they do.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It looks to me like you are doing way to much moving around. Travel takes time in AK and thats not all bad but you will spend far more time in the car than fishing.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the consensus. With that itinerary the way I see it you're going to have at least 2 hours or more of driving each day. And that is dependent on the traffic (lots of RV's going 45 mph), construction, accidents, etc. It's probably doable, but after the driving you have to account for time finding a place to park at some of these places, getting to and from where you'll be fishing, time to stop at the store for stuff, etc., etc. You've got some great fishing in there, but what you're planning on doing sounds like a good two week trip instead.

I guess construction and traffic was an afterthought... but I'm glad someone brought it up. I do realize the miles we are going to travel, the guy who helped put this together has done this same trip several times and also helped other friends of ours makes the same trip. Hasn't been any complaints about not getting enough fishing time in. I guess we will have to plan accordingly and could be subject to change.

The only thing I would change is the departure date.........add a week.

Hope is a great time. Fishing for Pinks and touring a historic mining town makes for a very enjoyable and informative day.

The Russian River Camp Ground is a real nice place. I would also plan a hike up to the falls. Pretty cool to see and a pretty reasonable hike.

It is a lot of driving, but that does give you a chance to see a bit of the area.

Have a great time.

How exciting!

I'd slow it down a bit and hang out on the Kenai Peninsula - Homer area because traffic will kill you plus Homer is an awesome place deserving a couple days. Take 7 days to work your way from Anchorage to Homer and back, there is enough fishing opportunities to kill a month. Spend time on Homer's beach camping out, take a charter or hit Kachemak bay. Expect the campgrounds and highway traffic to be very busy. The Mat-Su valley is a great place to fish but you driving a long ways to leave fish to find fish and dealing with traffic...ugh!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Slow down

If I were you I would just hit reserection creek then hit the kenai! Spend a day or two fishing the kenai, then head to homer! Homer is a great place to spend 2-3 days easy! So much to do!
    You might let us know how much money you want to spend and who you'll be with. ( have a boat of any type to use?) Also rainbow fishing on the kenai is so much fun you might think about that!
    There are so many possability's that you could spend two weeks trying to go crazy and do it all and it wont all happen! If your wanting to hit the red run on the kenai I would come up around the 20th if possible!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.