Thread: Outboard jets with factory pumps?

Default Outboard jets with factory pumps?

Can somebody tell me what the main difference between getting an outboard jet with a factory pump alreadly installed vs buying an outboard with a prop and having to convert.

Main difference is price. Much cheaper to buy a factory jet to start with than to convert. Also nice to not have a gear case collecting dust in the garage.

What about performance? Is there any difference with gearing or anything?

Default No difference

Quote Originally Posted by Tbradley View Post
    What about performance? Is there any difference with gearing or anything?
    Both pumps are exactly the same.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

The horsepower on the factory jets are a little goofy to understand. But basically a 90hp factory jet on some brands is actually like 130hp powerhead. But if you buy the 90hp prop of the same brand, you get a 90hp powerhead. So then take your 30% off that number then. So factory jets tend to be the proper rating, but you are actually buying a larger powerhead, labeled with the jet HP instead.

Hope that makes some sense? I just had this discussion recently about this same subject.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbradley View Post
    Is there any difference with gearing or anything?
    There is something in the gearing on a Honda that has to be changed when you are adding a jet but I can't remember what it is. I just recall that some Honda's are not practical if you plan on changing back and forth. As far as I know the rest of them are no different.

As far as the goofy power rating it is nothing but a sticker. I have a Yamaha F40 that has a 30hp sticker on the cowling since it came as a jet. If it had came as a prop and been refitted with a jet the cowling would have said 40hp. A F40 is 40hp powerhead no matter what drive is installed on it. The sticker just matches the drive instead of the powerhead.

I have a Merc and bought it with the prop and then bought the jet unit. For the simple reason that I can change them out depending on what the water conditions are. Once you get used to it I can change them over in about 20 min on a sand bar.

The quickest ways is with a power lift, an outboard that doesn't require the spacer for the jet, and remove the reverse gate and cable completely.

I have a smaller 50hp and went with the manual lift and I spend over 1/2 of my time lifting or lowering the motor jack.

I also use an electric drill driver. and each lower unit has its own water pump impeller kit. I use a cotter pin to re-hook up the props shift. Also have a tool kit (which one ought to have anyway) and know exactly which size sockets to use.... an oh yes have an extra "key" on hand for the jet impeller incase you drop it.

Sobie2