Thread: Old Town Discovery 169 value

Default Old Town Discovery 169 value

I just bought an old town discovery canoe with wooden paddles and life vests for 350.

The bow has some very minor scratches im pretty sure are superficial. Other than that its in 100% good shape.

Is there something I am missing about this canoe? It seems to work just fine.... But Ive seen other people out in coleman canoes and was just wondering if my canoe isnt as good as thiers maybee?? This is my first canoe and was pretty much wondering its value and how it would stack up to other canoes in its class.

Thanks for the help.

You my friend were robbed. Plain & simple.I don't like folks that do that to other people.
    I on the other hand am a kindly soul so to help you out I'll take it off your hands for what you paid the jerk & you can go buy a good Coleman.
    JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!! You got a great deal & the Colemans aren't even in the same class.
    I wasn't kidding about giving what you paid though. I'd love to have that boat for that price.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

awesome thanks!

I did some looking at the boat on the internet and it just seems a bit heavier than most of the other boats.
    Seems like I got a good deal out of it though. I am jsut a hard believer of " if its too good to be true it probably is " so I was wondering if I was missing anything.

Thanks for the help!

Lots and lots of people have used that boat for years and years, including many canoe liveries and guides. The price you paid was a good price . . . for you.

Yes, it's relatively heavy, because of the material it's built from. A lighter boat with the same paddling characteristics and capacity might have cost twice as much.

Enjoy your canoe.

Thumbs up old town

the discovery series is made from a material and process called polylink 3. They call it super link nowdays..
    this a very durable material that is laminated and provides a pretty rigid hull design due to the layerying of materials. It is a good boat for multipurpose and will far out perform a Coleman.
    Great price too.
    The only down side like you stated is the portage weight is a bit heavy if you plan on using it on like the Kenai canoe trails etc. Will be fine for short portages though.
    http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/g...overy_169.html

Good luck with your new find.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have an Old Town canoe. Great canoe, but too long for my needs. Model 146k. Has trolling motor mount and the plastic seats. I will sell it if anyone is interested. I just bought a jet boat. Old Town makes a great product.

Dirtofak, where are you, what model, & how much?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink Bargin!

Old Town makes one of the most durable crafts on the market and they will not sink!

I lived for a few years in Eagle Lake Maine and bought my Old Town 169 from a guy who needed money. I have run it down the Fish, St Johns, Alagash, East and West Branches of the Penobscot and the Kennebec Rivers. It saw a lot of use back east and it never failed. I was shooting down a nasty set of rapids on the Penobscot with a weeks worth of camping gear when we smacked a rock so hard that the whole canoe filled with water and the bow notched 2 inched deep. We survived the rapids and dumped the water out. The notch did not cut through and it popped its self back out the very next week!

We moved to Montana next and once again it shot many rough rivers including the upper Madison, Big Hole, Bitterroot and Booderondt in Wyoming. It now lives at my cabin Gulkana and runs the like of the Delta and Gulkana regularly! I would not trade it for any other! PS It sells for $8-900 so you did good!

Walt

www.northwestalaska.com

Default wow blind outhouse luck i guess :)

Thankts for the replies they were very appreciated. I have ran rivers with my kayak but am kind of eary with taking a canoe down some rapids

I think im going to mostly use it for calm rivers/creeks and paddling around lakes. Maybee take it out duck hunting if I set it up with canoe pontoons. But you can always shoot out of any canoe... sometimes only once

I had an Old Town 169 back in NY since '94.. Yeah its a little heavy but it can't be beat for the punishment it will withstand. I used it a lot for hunting, trapping etc, sold it when I came up and wished I had it back.

Default They make um every day

You know,, I have my favorite canoes too,, but I also realize that canoes are and will be in demand as long as people can get to the water. That being said,, If you are hunting for a new or used canoe, and you know what you want, just put your name out their that you are looking.
    This forum has the swap and sale and use that tool for finding your long lost canoe... Last year I had a fellow looking for a particular canoe.. it was a style he really enjoyed, but it was no longer in production..
    I placed an add on the local radio station tradio, for free,, and got 3 calls from people that had such a canoe that was not being used any longer and had been stored for several years..
    Just get the word out for what you are looking for..
    That Discovery 169 is so popular, that you are bound to find it.
    Every season I sell off some of my canoes, and sometimes I even trade canoes if someone has what I want..
    Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Are there any dealers in the valley or Anchorage area that have Penobscots in stock or is that something that has to be special ordered?

Default Old Town dealers

both REI and Sportsman warehouse carry the ever popular Penobscot.
    This is a Royalex construction canoe and weighs about 58 lbs or so.
    here is the link to the Old town Website. the prices on the website are suggested retail in the lower 48.
    you will find that you will pay a little less than there retail price if you wait for a sale.
    This is the 16 foot penobscot and what I use in the canoe trail system, easy to portage, and long enough to paddle well with a good load, and yet turn on those tight little stream we have down here. Longer canoes are nice for big long water, but turning is a big part of the Canoe lakes and streams.
    ENLARGEPenobscot 16PHOTOS 1, 2
    Penobscot 16Penobscot 17 Length16' 2" / 4.9 m17' 1" / 5.2 m Width34" / 86.4 cm35" / 88.9 cm Width at 4" Waterline33" / 83.8 cm33.75" / 85.7 cm Bow Height21" / 53.3 cm21.25" / 54.0 cm Depth13.75" / 35.0 cm14.5" / 36.8 cm Weight58 lbs. / 26.3 kg65 lbs. / 29.4 kg Capacity1,100 lbs. / 498.9 kg1,170 lbs. / 530.7 kg Suggested Retail$1,259.00 US
    $1,449.00 CAN $1,559.00 US
    $1,799.00 CAN
    (wood outfitting)
    $1,339.00 US
    $1,549.00 CAN $1,639.00 US
    $1,899.00 CAN
    (wood outfitting)

Thanks, Alaskacanoe. I need to get one of those this spring. They are a good canoe for sure.

Default great canoe

You got a great deal. The 169 is one of the best all round tripping canoes you can buy. If you go to Maine in the spring all you see are cars going with 169s on them. Old Town has taken the design of the bigger more expensive Tripper and made the affordable 169. I just got back April 13th from the factory blemish sale at the Old Town factory and paid $500 for a slightly blemished 169. They sold lots of them probably more than any other canoe. You'll love it ...have a great spring.