Thread: help me decide the barrel length

Default help me decide the barrel length

I'm thinking about buying a taurus 44mag raging bull, but im not sure what size barrel to get thinking something around the six inch length. whats everybody use?

Personally with a .44 I think longer is better. I like to minimize recoil as much as possible. Makes target practice slightly more bearable.

A shorter barrel is a bit handier to carry; a longer barrel is normally a bit easier to shoot accurately. I've had 44 revolvers with 4, 5, 7 1/2, 9 1/2 & several Super 14 T/C Contender barrels. The longer barrels definitely provide more velocity in a 44, but the only 44 revolver I presently own is a 4 inch Redhawk. It does all I'll ask of a 44 and is fairly easy to carry.

For me: 4" on the hip, 6" in the hand, ... and 8" to hunt. Guns tht I carry a lot and shoot little, the 4". Guns that I enjoy shooting and want to be able to hit with, the 6".

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My S&W 29 is a 6", and I'm quite happy with that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default classifieds

any online classifieds up there to find a good deal

In my experience you can go down to 5 1/2 or 6" and not give up anything in balance nor is the sight radius too short. Also these guns are fairly easy to pack and not so long to carry in a cross draw chest holster.

7 1/2 or 8" barrels are a little bit easier to hit with, and not that much more difficult to pack in a shoulder rig.

To me the 9 1/2 or 10" barrels are only usefull at the range or shooting in elevated stands, but are just too much to carry in holster.

I have and carry a 5" barreled M-29 one of five hundred done by Magnaport when they first started up in the early 1970s. I love the revolver more than any other hand gun I use, and this is the only handgun I have that I carry in a custom made cross draw chest holster. It does fit inside my chest waders vary well. This is my fishing pistol and works out vary well. But when it comes to just plain carry pistols, I sure do like my 2" 340PD S&W. Nothing wears as well as this in my pocket.

You have to find what you can shoot well and what you like to carry for and answer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

thanks everybody for your input, i think im going to go with the raging bull 44 mag 6 inch

I sure hope you stay away from the Taurus revolvers, they do not have the best of histories. If I was limited on my funds for a .44 mag I would shop for a good used Ruger.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a taurus 44mag raging bull, but im not sure what size barrel to get thinking something around the six inch length. whats everybody use?
    I mostly agree with the others. 4" to carry, 6" to shoot, etc.

I can't follow the thinking for the Taurus. A Ruger Redhawk, in 5 1/2" is likely the strongest and best buy for the dollar today and is packable, shootable and durable. It has the best of warranty and parts support, which you likely will not need. The Redhawk is a superior firearm from any perspective. Choose the 5 1/2" barrel length, get a good holster for it and shoot it often.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Ruger

Murphy, that's exactly the way I saw it when I was shopping for mine. I picked up the 5 1/2 inch Redhawk a couple weeks ago and shot it for the first time last Sunday. Love it. I put a mix of ammo through it (240gr and 320gr) and my only complaint is the grip. While the rosewood is so nice looking, my hand kept slipping. I think with some decent leather shooting gloves it wouldn't have been an issue.
    X2 for the Redhawk. I did alot of research and while I too initially looked at the Taurus stuff I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling on their dependability. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    thanks everybody for your input, i think im going to go with the raging bull 44 mag 6 inch

Forget the Taurus and go with a S&W M-29 much better choice, unless you really want to push 300+ grain bullets really hard and the the Ruger gets the nod