Thread: Raycor fuel filter question

Default Raycor fuel filter question

Ok, this might seem D-U-M.
    On the two part Raycors (clear bottom bowl, white upper filter), the filter unit does unscrew from the mount, right? I removed the lower bowl, but i just cannot get the filter off.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yes it unscrews.

Yes, it should come apart. I do know they can be real sticky after they have been on awhile.
    I would like to know if anyone has suggestions on how to make it easier to get off.

It should, there will be an O,ring there, That is dry and a bugger to get off, Like an oil filter without lubing it before you put it on. Which i would do after you get it off and but the new one on. I use a dap grease on the tip of finger along the seal. I have had to crush them,to get them off.

Default Sure do!

I have one on my jet boat that sometimes needs and filter wrench and elbow grease to get it off!! Sounds like it has corroded on

Just went through this last weekend - very difficult to remove.

On the clear bottom section that is so difficult to remove, how critical is it to fill it with gas when installing it. I never put gas in the bottom section - can't see why this would be important. The instructions say to do it. I didn't, but I have not started (or tried to start) my motor yet either.

Figured as much. Even tried it with a strap wrench and it just started to crunch.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default I know it sounds dumb...but

because it's mounted upside down in the housing, some people turn left while looking down at it when they should be turning the other way. Also, no need to put gas in it, just use the primer bulb and fill her up, all the way to the quick connect at the engine.

I broke mine trying to get the glass bowl off just more money.............

Thanks Buzz - that's exactly what I thought.

I now need to remove it again and put some oil around the threads - easier to do now rather than wait another year and have more problems getting it off.

I've had this exact problem w/ a 3232UL and its a nightmare!
    It took a chain type filter wrench to finally get it off and it was demolished. Parker makes a grease to lube the gasket but it doesn't work because when you prime your friggn filter (which you must do or you burn up your fuel pump) you dissolve all the grease off the gasket. When I was in Bellingham building my boat last year these two Parker Racor reps. stopped the boat shop and bragged how their over priced stuff was the best, I gave them both an attitude adjustment and pointed them toward the door mainly cause the new filter set-up I just bought I broke the ear of the mount trying to get the blimey filter off! I handed them the broken 100 plus dollar mount and said this junk breaks in the shop before its even mounted and you want to send guys to sea w/ it? They brought me a new setup plus a tube of their gay grease that washes off when you prime the filter BTW.

Question Grease

Wouldn't any kind of grease work?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public