Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer?

Default Homer?

looking to head down to homer with the family next weekend for my bday for the first time not familiar with the area but would like some insite on where to stay and also if possable chance at doing some surf fishing to get the kids into something. thanks.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

How much do you want to spend? Land's End is wonderful, but on the expensive side. When I used to drive down before I lived here I used to stay at Homer Cabins.

I also used to like to stay at the Driftwood Inn. They are on the lower side in the expense department, but the rooms we used to stay in were a bit small, though they allowed us to have our dogs in the room which made up for it. Can't speak for their larger rooms.

There's also a Best Western here. I've never stayed there, but it looks nice.

Then of course there are all sorts of "vacation rentals" to be had. Since it's early season you might be able to get a "deal" with one of them. If you don't get any specific answers here I'd just do a Google search for "homer cabin rentals" and see what materializes.

Sorry I can't help you much on the "surf fishing" thing. People fish off the end of the Spit out by Land's End and catch things like small flatfish and other various fish. I never fish there since I have a boat, but hopefully someone that has done it will chime in here. If you don't get any help try calling or stopping in at The Sport Shed (235-5562) on the Spit and they can probably tell you what you need to know.

right on thanks id rather take a charter but the kids are a wee to small, i was also told of homer spit campground, hows the weather down there?

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    right on thanks id rather take a charter but the kids are a wee to small, i was also told of homer spit campground, hows the weather down there?
    I know you always hear this one, but you should have been here yesterday! I think yesterday was one of the nicest days we've had all year. But I digress.

Right now it's pretty nice out. Nice and sunny and about the mid 40's. Sure wouldn't want to predict what it's going to be like this weekend, though. Here's the weather link I use the most: http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Homer.html.

If you're into camping the Homer Spit Campground is decent enough. The nice thing about it is it's got a "million dollar" view. The problem that some people don't like about it is that the wind blows almost constantly over the Spit in one direction or the other (often times 4 different directions throughout the day), so it can be blustery at times. But some people don't mind that.

There is also a nice "city run" campground in town. It's actually on the outer edge of town and fairly secluded. I've never stayed there, but some friends of mine from Anchorage stayed there for a few days last summer and they said they loved it. Here's a link to their site: http://homeralaska.com/Stories/parks-camping.shtml. They have two young one's (I think about 4 and 6) that I took out fishing and they said that the campground was nice and kid friendly.

right on my kids are 3 and 4, thanks for the info def gonna look into it

I am heading down for a three day weekend with the wife and kids. My kids are 2,4, and 6 and am planning some surf fishing at the end of the spit. I did it a couple years ago and caught some flounders. The kids loved it though. I heard there might be some sea run dollies near the harbour also, so im goiing to check that out. Ill let ya know how i did when i get home. If anyone does have any other ideas or tips please feel free to chime in.

We were married at the Homer Ridgetop Inn 2 years ago and their sister lodge. They are the some of the nicest folks you'll meet, have a great view and are very laid back. I highly recommend them and they aren't that expensive. Check them out.

Regardless, have a great trip.

The shorebird festival is this weekend too. Some neat things going on for the family. I'll find a link for you. I love camping on the spit but MFC hit it on the head about the wind. It can be pretty crazy. I've had my tent collapsed many times while camping there. Beyond that the other link is also a great campground. You need a camper or a good tent with lots of heavy stuff to weigh the tent corners and fly down. If you do go, however much firewood you thought you'd need.........double it. The wind burns it like mad, and it's most likely going to be cold.
    I fish the end of the spit and it's fun. I'm thinking of doing it this weekend or going for Hooligan at 20 mile. Lot's of little fish on the spit. Some bait on a small hook, throw it out towards the pilings on the beach by Lands End hotel. Farther is better, but almost any distance will work. P. Cod, little yellowfin, pollock, some sculping.......who knows? (I have seen one halibut about 30 inches caught there) It's a great thing to do on a lazy sunny day, but gets old fast when it's marginal out.
    The Lagoon could have a really early king in it? Maybe. (doubt it). The Homer fishing report is out too.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...ail/area_key/8
    http://www.homeralaska.org/events/ka...ival/index.htm
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1h&oq=homer&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_enUS278US282&q=homer+spit+fishing+la goon%2c+pictures

great thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    The Lagoon could have a really early king in it? Maybe. (doubt it). The Homer fishing report is out too.
    I drove by the lagoon today on my way to my boat and there wasn't anyone fishing at all. I even flew over it the day before yesterday and couldn't see any fish or people fishing. If there's no one fishing that's usually a pretty good sign there aren't any fish yet. But you never know by the weekend. All it takes is one day for the fishing to get good. Once again the Sport Shed will know if there are any fish being caught there.

I've never used other boats as an indicator if fish are around. This time of the year, it's just me and my fish finder. We seem to do alright. The first few guys who discover the hot bite, have better fishing than the boat chasers can even dream about.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I've never used other boats as an indicator if fish are around. This time of the year, it's just me and my fish finder. We seem to do alright. The first few guys who discover the hot bite, have better fishing than the boat chasers can even dream about.
    You need to know what we're talking about. The "fishing lagoon" is a manmade pond that has a connection to K-Bay. They stock it with kings and silvers. These fish return there and people line the shore and try to catch these salmon that have no where to go. It is easy to see if there are fish entering the channel and people monitor it all the time for returning fish. As soon as there are fish returning there will be big crowds of people, so there's no fish finders of the electronic variety, no boats and no secret when there are fish in there.

Thumbs up Karen Hornaday Park

Its located by the hospital.Has a playground and its out of the wind. There are outhouses and a potable water station. My kids loved it.

Default fun fun fun

just got back from the homer shorebird festival, had a great time!
    i did some shore fishing by the pileings and caught 15 pacific cod, 2 sculpins, and 1 greenling.the weather was spectacular!

Hey Joe what was your setup im headed down there the 15th to get the kids on some fish and go on a boat with muttleycrew. Sounds like you had a blast!

Default Shore Bird Festival

Sunday, we just returned from a beautiful Homer weekend of puttzing around, taking in the sites. The spit and Homer proper were dry, maybe mid-fifties, but the hills still have three feet of snow, looks deeper across the Bay. Chilly at four am but the view was perfect. I think you could see all the way to Affognak and up to Mt. Spur. The Alaska range was "right there" .... as crisp and vibrant as can be imagined.

In all, it was a beautiful weekend. Not too many people, the crowds haven't arrived, everyone in sunny spirits. Several bird officiandos shared a wealth of information, they know their stuff, too. I was impressed with one articulate 87 year old gal that kept us engaged with her personal observations of some thirty years of the Sandhill crane population in the area. Cameras and binoculars, standard equipment. Scientists, enthusiasts, naturalists helped all interested to appreciate the environmental aspects of the area and were willing to help me and everyone else identify the sea birds. One question leads to another, next thing you know thirty minutes disappears.

Pouring down a pint of the local sort and a cup of chowder at the Lands End I counted a little over twenty people fishing off the end of the spit, having a good time catching cod and sculpin. Many young people and kids, too. The direction that the light stable breeze was blowing I wished I had brought my kite rig, instead I watched the sailboats scoot around. One fellow was wading up to his waist in street clothes, made me wonder if he might be full of bottled anti-freeze. While that guy was icing his nuts, another fellow was trying to edge up to a perched Bald Eagle tearing at some fish guts with a camera the size of a cell phone...he was maybe within three or four feet, he could have reached out and touched the bird, before the eagle had had enough and lifted into the breeze landing just thirty feet away. Another chap had a whooping big camera and lens and spent purposeful minutes taking dozens of clicks, there was maybe a billion dollars worth of camera equipment in Homer this weekend.

I stopped several times at the cleaning stations and charter stations. All the halibut I saw were chickens...more like chicks. Some of the halibut were so small I question the justification for keeping them. I didn't see any salmon taken, very few rock fish. The lagoon was a non-event.

Loads of eagles floating the thermals and afternoon ground effect. I don't know about you, but for me it is always a surreal moment to be driving along the spit next to an eagle floating along wing feathers twitching to maintain course, effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Hey Joe what was your setup im headed down there the 15th to get the kids on some fish and go on a boat with muttleycrew. Sounds like you had a blast!
    Hey Justin---In case you don't get an answer. I've never fished the end of the Spit, so I can't really tell you for sure, but if you stop in at the Sport Shed when you get down here and ask them they are very helpful and I'm sure can tell you how to set yourself up for fishing off the end of the Spit.

Thanx coho i didnt get an answer at the time but just got off the phone with one of my buddies that went down there last year and said 1oz or less lead and a 2/0 j hook or halibut rig works like a champ.

Fishing the end of the spit is a good place for the kids. Work your way from the point of the spit down to the big pier where the Coast Guard boat and ferry tie up to. There are plenty of flounder so if the kids fish the bottom and you work the top water you should have it covered.

Karen Hornday park is a great place to camp. The spit can get pretty windy and packed. Lands End has military rates, so you should be able to find a descent room.

There is also a lake up off west hill rd that has trout. I'm not sure about the regs though. Best of luck and happy B day. Give me a ring if you have any more questions. My wife grew up in Homer.

Yup, the Homer spit fishing is a great way to get some action prior to the salmon season getting into full swing. I have noticed that in past years, the baitfish that seemed to be swarming the area in the spring were sandlances. They must be thick since casting in a swarm of birds often resulted in 3 or 4 sandlances snagged on my spoon hooks. As a kid, we would dig them up on sandy beaches in the area at low tide and use them for the Dollies. Sounds weird to dig for them but they worked amazingly well. Sand lances under a bobber was the method of choice way back when I used to do it as a kid.

For flounders, stay away from the area where people are catching all the cod. It seems like you can never get your bait down to the bottom. If you are using bait, I highly recommend adding 5 or 6 beads then a corky or small spin -n glo so the bait comes off the bottom.

If you are just looking for action, just pitch anything shiny. No need for bait unless specifically targeting flounders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast