Thread: Crab Cakes

Default Crab Cakes

took a shot at making some crab cakes tonight...they turned out pretty good so I thought i'd post up the recipe. Feel free to suggest improvements as well as crab-cakes are about my favorite food and i'm always looking for a better one. Didn't really have a recipe I followed, just used various pieces from recipes i've seen through the years. This made about 7 pretty good sized cakes so if you are cooking for 1 or 2, you might want to use a half pound maybe.

Ingredients - 1 lb dungeness meat
    couple celery stalks,
    1 red bell pepper, a
    bout 1/4 a large sweet onion
    1 egg
    Panko bread crumbs, or you could toast regular bread and make it into crumbs
    old bay seasoning to taste
    Stick of butter or so.
    cooking oil, i use olive oil but vegetable oil would work.

Dice all the veggies pretty fine. If you want to you can roast the skin off the bell pepper first...put it over a gas stove till it blacks up, stick it in a ziploc or a bowl with saran wrap over the top and let it steam. The skin will peel right off. Not a necessary step but you don't get any pepper skin if you do this.

In a non-stick skillet, saute the veggies in a mix of butter and oil...probably about a 1/4 stick or so of butter and just a little oil. That helps keep the butter from burning. When the veggies are soft, I mix them with the crab meat in a big bowl, use about 1/4 of the box of panko (probably a cup or so), and mix the veggies crab, panko and the egg all together. The panko is a taste thing for you...if you want to stretch the cakes to go further add more, but I like my cakes meaty and really just use the egg and panko to hold them together.

Make the cakes into hamburger sized patties, and put them in the fridge or a cooler to cool down for a half hour. Bread each cake on both sides in the remaining panko and saute in the same skillet you did the veggies in with a mixture of butter and oil again. Since everything is cooked, I really just heat them until they are browned up real nice.

I eat them with tartar sauce, but they'd be great with a butter/lemon sauce. Made some of the leftovers into sandwiches with lettuce, tartar, tomato, and sliced avocado on a hamburger bun and they were great as well.

Hope you like em if you try em.

Thorne Bay, AK

I don't think it could get any better than what you described. Thanks for the vision!