Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hunting Rifle You Love

Default The Hunting Rifle You Love

I love Winchester Mod. 70 rifles for big game hunting. The ones I have owned have been reliable and they all shoot better then I can. I like the "controlled round feed". Do I need it? Probably not. Thousands of hunters have proven "push feeds" are reliable. Are Mod. 70's more accurate out of the box then other factory rifles. I doubt it. But they do have a few features I love. The safety! When the safety is on it blocks the firing pin and locks down the bolt. The bolt! Put the safety on half way and the bolt easily field strips with out tools. The trigger! What a simple and reliable design. Very few parts, easy to adjust and clean, reliable and as foolproof as any hunting trigger I have seen. So there you have it. Don't deny it. Us rifle hunters are loyal to our rifles and we don't like anyone putting down our much loved "old reliable". What is it about the big game hunting rifle you have that keeps you so loyal to it?

Talking Rifles

I'm married to my wife but she is probably replacable if I really looked hard, Which I won't if she ever gets stolen. I love my pet rifles, their not replacable if they get stolen. So leave my guns and take my wife, please!!!

I don't know...maybe I'm too young (28) to have developed a strong connection to a certain rifle or brand. I have some great memories connected to a few guns, particularly my Ruger m77 30-06 and my Remington Model 700 7mm-Mag, but at the end of the day I just look at them as tools. They're certainly replaceable.

-Brian

Custom model 70s. I love `em.

.300 Winchester Magnum; Weatherby Vanguard. Older version with blonde wood. I've killed over 50+ big game critters with it. Very accurate.

Mine has to be my old savage 111 in 338winny, OK, its not old but it looks that way. It is one of the few rifles I have owned that feels like an extension of my arm. accurate as hell also. I have customs, semi-customs and factory but I seem to grab the spray painted (krylon finish), beat up savage.

Remington 300 Ultra Mag w/ Bushnell 3 - 9 Power Scope and Muzzle Break. Love it love it love it!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Weatherby Ultra Lightweight stainless in 270 Winchester w/ 2.5x8 Vari-X III. Sexy. Light. Accurate.

Default Favorites

Those Savages are sure diamonds in the rough. Not a thing wrong with them.

I have 3 "favorites" for here in Alaska, LH Browning Stainless Stalkers in .280 Remington. .338 and .375 H&H.

Up and coming is my Encore in .280 Remington. It is outstanding.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I am not very loyal at all. But my favorites are winchesters and rugers. Oh wait I also had a couple of weatherbys that I was impressed with and also have not had problems with rems either.

Right now I have one hunting rifle (still no blood) a win stainless mod 70 300 ultra. The weapon that I still have now that has the most kills is my bow. One deer, two moose and a bou.

Mine would be my rifle of 20 years now..Its a FN mauser in .300 magnum,22 inch barrel,KDF muzzle break,and topped with a Burris 3x9 scope.Downed numerous moose,and a lot of caribou.Shoots real sweet too.Only wish I had it in stainless.......

I shoot from the left shoulder and I love my left hand Browning A-Bolts. I have 2 stainless stalkers-- a .300 Win. Mag. and a .375 H & H Mag.

Never meet a gun yet that I didn't like....however model 70's have a special place in my heart.

As a kid my grandfather told me:
    "guns are made to be bought, not sold, only passed along"

I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I was young and foolish I sold and/or traded a few guns. Somehow I think grandpa would forgive me.

Now I'm older, and would like like to think more wise.......my guns will go to my kids, or grandkids, or someone else special, of course there not for sale for any dollar value ......maybe a young person that might need a gun to get started hunting could wipe the dust off of one of mine and find a good use for it.................................

Two Mauser Mod 3000s, one in 7mm Rem Mag I've had for about 30 years and have hunted and taken numerous, different game with. Shoots very well when I do my part. Wouldn't want to lose it because I've had it so long and it shoots well, my wife gave it to me while we were dating and it was the first real big game rifle I owned. (I'm from Ohio where shotgun is the deer "rifle") I also have a number of Remingtons that I like.

.416 rem ultra light arms, 6.25lbs topped with a luey 1.5-5, points like a dream shoots like a monster hits like a tank carries like a cell phone and shoulders like a bra...it was built to hunt, and i was built to hunt it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Winchester Mod. 70 Pre - 64 Cal. ( 30-06) Greatest rifle and caliber ever invented!!!!!

Stuck between two rifles. An old Interarms 30-06 with a mannlicher stock and toped off with a leupold 2x7. Taken numerous big game in Alaska and Georgia. dad bought it back in 81 and gave it to me when I was in the 7th grade. Picked up a stainless/ laminate Ruger model 1 in 375H&H still waiting on a scope for it. Love both rifles the only thing I would change is putting some sort of coating on the Interarms and a composite stock so I wouldn't feel so bad beating it around in the brush.

Default 300 Wsm

I love my Browning 300 WSM A-bolt stainless stalker w/BOSS. With the "Sims" butt pad, it kicks less than a .243.

Winchester model 70 300 win mag. Also love my winchester 94 .22. I realy enjoy lever guns.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I love Winchester Mod. 70 rifles for big game hunting. The ones I have owned have been reliable and they all shoot better then I can. I like the "controlled round feed". Do I need it? Probably not. Thousands of hunters have proven "push feeds" are reliable. Are Mod. 70's more accurate out of the box then other factory rifles. I doubt it. But they do have a few features I love. The safety! When the safety is on it blocks the firing pin and locks down the bolt. The bolt! Put the safety on half way and the bolt easily field strips with out tools. The trigger! What a simple and reliable design. Very few parts, easy to adjust and clean, reliable and as foolproof as any hunting trigger I have seen. So there you have it. Don't deny it. Us rifle hunters are loyal to our rifles and we don't like anyone putting down our much loved "old reliable". What is it about the big game hunting rifle you have that keeps you so loyal to it?
    >338 mag, I gotta agree with you on the Win M-70 rifles. I have several from pre-64 through the modern CRF Classics, and a couple SS barreled actions with Accurate Innovations 2x walnut stocks; In 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm RMag, 300 WMag, 338WMag, 375 HH, 458WM.. They all work flawlessly and smoothly and They shoot good. The extra machine work required to make a M-70 action makes it better looking. Integeral machined recoil lug. I like their feel. LtWt, StdWt, HvyWt models. They will all pass on to son & grandson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast