Thread: Kitfox ?'s

Default Kitfox ?'s

I have been looking at used planes for about a year now and just can't seem to come up with what I want for the $. A PA 12 or 18 will have to wait until retirement... A 7GCBC would fit for what I'm looking for and I've also looked at Tcarts. Pros & cons too many to list and I'm looking into spending the two years and building a new series 7 Kitfox supersport and hanging a 120 hp (no Rotax) on it.

I'm not looking to win the Valdez fly-in but would like a good 1-2 person hunting / trapping / fishing / FUN airplane.

1) Anyone in the Fairbanks area have a Kitfox I can take a look at or pester with questions?

2) Visibilty looks poor on the ground with the seat configuration?

3) Anyone mod the fuselage for a baggage compartment door or is all baggage over the seats?

Thanks!

Mojo...it won't work and will get in the way of trapping and ducks!!! And you won't be able to fit my fat behind in!!

Default Alternatives

I am not sure if this would work for you or if it is still available. There was a Merlin available in Fairbanks at
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...tal_Class.html
    It is mostly built and has been flying. It is smaller than the certified planes you mentioned. I don't know how it compares to the Kitfox. It would be a lot less expensive though.
    There is also a Murphy Rebel for sale at http://www.eaa42.org/forsale.php I think this one is in Anchorage. The price seems a little high, but you could get into the air pretty quick with this one.
    If you are serious about building, you should check into the Fairbanks chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association at http://www.eaa-1129.org/ to get more info on building. I have talked to too many people whose two year project is now into the sixth or tenth year.
    You should also look at craigslist. There have been some good deals on Citabrias and Citabria projects in the last six months.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

I also would advise you to check with the EAA Chapter here. I've been a member for a few years (one year Aeronca Sedan rebuild project going on twelve years) We have a meeting tomorrow night at the Pioneer Air Museum (Pioneer Park) at 6:30pm, all are welcome. If Dave Gardner is there, the last I heard, he has a Kitfox and I'm sure he'd be happy to let you check it out....Louis
    Louis Knapp

There used to be a kitfox for sale at a used car dealer on old seward near 76th street. It is yellow and has a blue tarp over the fuselage. I looked at a out of curiosity a couple of years ago and thought the dealer was trying to get too much out of it. Last I looked it was still in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmojo View Post
    I have been looking at used planes for about a year now and just can't seem to come up with what I want for the $. A PA 12 or 18 will have to wait until retirement... A 7GCBC would fit for what I'm looking for and I've also looked at Tcarts. Pros & cons too many to list and I'm looking into spending the two years and building a new series 7 Kitfox supersport and hanging a 120 hp (no Rotax) on it.

I'm not looking to win the Valdez fly-in but would like a good 1-2 person hunting / trapping / fishing / FUN airplane.

1) Anyone in the Fairbanks area have a Kitfox I can take a look at or pester with questions?

2) Visibilty looks poor on the ground with the seat configuration?

3) Anyone mod the fuselage for a baggage compartment door or is all baggage over the seats?

Thanks!
    If your looking for a 5-7 they are about the same. They have a nice extended baggage that is pretty roomy. The visibility is no worse than a 12 or an 18. Another one to look at is the Airdale. This is the new company who took over Avid (Dean Wilson designed the original Avid and the first kitfoxes were clones). The airdale is a sweet setup and has lots of baggage!

Either one of them are FUN airplanes! I have time in a Kitfox I, II and III and all were a blast to fly. My Avid C HH has almost all the Mk IV upgrades on it. Right now I have the 65 hp Rotax, but am building a nice Fuel injected 150 HP to tuck under the cowl.. that should have it real fun on floats!

Default take a look at this site

Here is a site that shows a Pacer flying in NZ. Go to Utube and search "TopFun", this will show you what you can do with a factory Pacer and not spend as much as a Kit Fox, and carry twice the weight. I went the home built route and found ten years goes by quick and it will cost twice the kit price to finish ( I gave up at $45,000.00 and $30,000.00 to go). Wish I'd just bought a plane that was air worthy and had some fun flying instead of watching flying.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Here is a site that shows a Pacer flying in NZ. Go to Utube and search "TopFun", this will show you what you can do with a factory Pacer and not spend as much as a Kit Fox, and carry twice the weight. I went the home built route and found ten years goes by quick and it will cost twice the kit price to finish ( I gave up at $45,000.00 and $30,000.00 to go). Wish I'd just bought a plane that was air worthy and had some fun flying instead of watching flying.
    SHHHHH you keep braggin the pacer up and yer gonna drive up the price for those of us who are looking at buying one... I think it is the most underated plane on the market today. Got a BS bad wrap long ago and has not been able to shake it... I personally love them.

Lightbulb Bldg vs flying

Hey Akmojo,

I was member of the Valley EAA for awhile. Came close to buying a BH. Flown in the BH, Zenith 801 and the Tundra Dream. All fun craft.

The 801 is a good craft to build. A friend in Valdez built it and it does great with 3 in it and perfect for 2 with gear.

If you want a cheap one to run and can take off qwiker then any(it won the Lake-Land Fla short float TO competition. It even beat the ultra-lights), buy the used Zenith 701 out of Big Lake or build one..There is/was two that flew out of BigLake a while back.

Now for the ultimate, get the Preceptor STOL KING Kit. I may try it later..

http://www.blackhillsairsports.com/S...ng_Intro2.html

Stall speed is 15-mpg Ha!.

The rule is that the usual kit plane gets completed by the 3rd owner. Good advice is "if you like to build then build...if you want to fly then buy.."" I'm taking the 2nd route myself.

Now some folk really like to build..Maybe after you get plane you can ALSO build...

Good Luck with it

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    There used to be a kitfox for sale at a used car dealer on old seward near 76th street. It is yellow and has a blue tarp over the fuselage. I looked at a out of curiosity a couple of years ago and thought the dealer was trying to get too much out of it. Last I looked it was still in the same spot.
    yep... same here... looked 'er over seems years ago... and it is still there

Does anyone know what series kf this is and how much they are asking for it. Also, any other options for LSA or ultralight. Capella, Kitfox, Lil' Hustler for sale?

Default Rans s-7 for sale

There is Rans S-7 with Jabiru engine for sale now on Craigslist. It is LSA, high quality build. I knew the builder and flew in that plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Howard View Post
    Does anyone know what series kf this is and how much they are asking for it. Also, any other options for LSA or ultralight. Capella, Kitfox, Lil' Hustler for sale?