Thread: Anyone have any Remington 721 pictures? (Please!!!)

Default Anyone have any Remington 721 pictures? (Please!!!)

Well, I'm REALLY wanting an old Remington 721 in a .300H&H (or Weatherby)...and I was wondering if ANYBODY still has one of those if you would post any pictures of them. I want to see what kind of shape folks are keeping them in, and help me get fired up to get my darn $$$ saved and find one. IF I had some good pictures to "motivate" me it would help!

So, if you have any Remington 721 pictures...PLEASE post them.

Thank you for ANY help! It's appreciated.

Default perfect condition

Sorry, no pics though.
    I made a personal decission about 10 years ago. I decided I could find other more positive people to spend my time with and terminated my relationship with my parents.
    I'm a better person today for it.
    My old man has a 721 in 30-06, It replaced a 1949 winchester 94. I think he bought in when he returned from Korea after using 30-06 to save his butt.
    That would make it about a 52 or 53 model.
    It has only been used during a 2 week deer season in Northern WI on and off.
    Like everything the old fart has it looks like the day it was bought.
    The 721 was no show piece, it was just a plain old bolt action with no frills.
    I don't think the safety on that gun has ever been used, its always on fire and he used to leave the bolt slightly open.
    Someday somebody is gonna bust open that safe after he assumes ground temp, and lay their hands on one dandy rifle.
    It won't be me so keep your eyes open, they are out there....
    Again sorry no pics, but maybe this will help you in your search.
    I know for a fact this thing does'nt have 100 rounds thru it. Some years he did'nt hunt, other years he carried a 300 savage with a scope other years an 870 with a slug barrel. It was always a one shot deal, on private property usually very early in the season. Never transported in a vehicle, so nothing bumped the sights and as tight as he is shooting for pleasure was never a option. The only other shots fired would be for the occasional bear that wandered into the compost pile. happy searching....

Isn't this what you're looking for?
    Yup, but until I get the $$$ together I've gotta settle for drooling over pictures!

Canyon, I can SURE relate to the "negativity" of a family member dragging you down if you let it. PM inbound Bro!
    I am still hearing about the ol Rem721 that I traded away in my youth. That's why the search continues!
    (plus I just want one again...good Karma Rifle.). Dad's 82, so I gotta get off my butt and get one pretty soon.

Default Gramps gun

I love talking about this iron. I've got my boat loaded up and the tanks full. Tommorrow I depart for Kuiu island, Alaska with two bear tags in my pocket. There won't be any fancy stainless wiz bang onboard my vessel. Just Gramps gun, a 721 300 H&H loaded just right with 200 gr. Partitions. It sends the heat everytime and with great accuracy. I think gramps would be smiling knowin' his iron is headin for a walk in the wilderness.

I wish I had a photo to share with you. Keep an eye on the hunting board, I'll post a story when I return mid May.

Default is that price right?

Can you believe that old thing is worth that much.
    I promise you in 1953 the farthest thing from his mind was paying 650 for that thing.
    Bernanke says there is no inflation.
    I have decided to grow some hair on my bald head and shave my beard so I don't resemble that treasonist bugger....

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I love talking about this iron. I've got my boat loaded up and the tanks full. Tommorrow I depart for Kuiu island, Alaska with two bear tags in my pocket. There won't be any fancy stainless wiz bang onboard my vessel. Just Gramps gun, a 721 300 H&H loaded just right with 200 gr. Partitions. It sends the heat everytime and with great accuracy. I think gramps would be smiling knowin' his iron is headin for a walk in the wilderness.

I wish I had a photo to share with you. Keep an eye on the hunting board, I'll post a story when I return mid May.
    Bro, that story was "photo" enough.

There is a nice one at Boondocks right now. I don't remember the price but i think around 600. Mod 721 in 300 Weatherby. Good Luck

Default Rem 721 300 H&H

arizonaguide, just linking you up with the GA listing that I posted on your previous thread. Good luck with your search, process is just as fulfilling as the end result, almost.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/959021439...21_300_H_H.htm#

This is getting a little old. Other than a hole in the bolt and a rivet (shape of the extractor) what is the difference between a M-721 and the M-700? I guess I don't know the answer to that one?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Maybe he wants the 721 over the 700 for sentimental reasons, might really have nothing to do with which rifle is better.
    I too would buy another rifle just like it for those reasons if I had one that was given to me by a special person in my life like my father or grandfather and I ran into hard times afterward and had to sell my rifle to have some money to take care of living expenses, that is just my take on the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Maybe he wants the 721 over the 700 for sentimental reasons, might really have nothing to do with which rifle is better.

I too would buy another rifle just like it for those reasons if I had one that was given to me by a special person in my life like my father or grandfather and I ran into hard times afterward and had to sell my rifle to have some money to take care of living expenses, that is just my take on the reasoning.
    Exactly. 100% for those exact reasons. But I'm realist enough to take a Rem700 if it was the right one...or better yet, a 798. But I'll still take ANY Rem721 pic's ya got if ya got 'em.

When I get home I will send you a picture of mine. It's a 300 H&H rechambered to the 300 Weatherby. Here is the history behind this rifle:

My grandfather traded for this rifle on Kodiak Island way back in the day before I was a thought. He shot many a animal with this rifle. My first memorys of this rifle was as a kid and watching my father shoot it and him holding his shoulder in pain. I thought that was the biggest most powerful rifle in the world! My Father ended up with it and about the end of high school he gave it to me. I used it all the time so it only seemed right!
    some years later I was hunting up in Tok and broke the original stock. Broke my heart as well. I tried to get a stock built and was told to put it over my mantel since it was to old.. "oh yea, buy this one instead" type deal. I did find a stock in synthetic and still use the rifle today.
    I am in the process of getting a make over for her and will never part with this rifle exept to hand it to my son when he grows the nads to pull the trigger. He is scared to death of this thing. She kicks like a mule on steroids. That is why I have not worn the barrel out yet, she hurts to shoot! Not a fun gun, just an efficent accurate animal slayer

I had a couple of the 721's in .300 H&H, as well as a pre-64 Model 70. All three had the original 26" barrels, but the Model 70 was a heckuva lot easier on the shoulder when it went off. The stock design on those early Remington 721's was NOT conducive to reducing or redirecting recoil. In other words, they hurt! Still, they shot pretty well, and I sent one with the boy when he was stationed at Fort Rich, but he traded it off on a Model 70 .375 H&H.
    I am looking to acquire another .300 H&H myself, but I believe I'll use something with a better extractor and trigger than the 721's had. The earlier 700 ADL and BDL models chambered to 7mm Remington have magazines and actions more than long enough to accomodate either .300 or .375 H&H, have stocks that are a LOT more comfortable to shoot, and can generally be found for around half what a decent 721 brings......then again, decent altered M1917 Enfields can be found now and again, and they make up into nice long-action rigs with some fairly simple mods, AND, get a controlled feed extractor and excellent safety thrown in.....the best part is they have excellent barrels if in good shape, giving a 26" tube with a rechamber job.

They do kick ALOT... I have friends that say im just a whiner untill they shoot it. Most people only pull the trigger once. I put a Bell and Carlson stock on mine and it didn't help but it's getting a limb saver soon. I have talked with a few gunsmiths and they say to drop in a new trigger and clean the bolt. I found that Pacific tool and gauge sells new bolts for the 700 and am going to inquire about the 721 to get away from the extractor issues. they can also ream the action to fit a "fatter" bolt.... Im still in research mode since this rifle needs to be used to honor grandads wishes