Thread: Alpacka Raft

Default Alpacka Raft

I'm looking at getting an Alpacka Raft to play with this summer, anyone know of a good place to pick one up?

Thanks,
    Bobble

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'm looking at getting an Alpacka Raft to play with this summer, anyone know of a good place to pick one up?

Thanks,
    Bobble
    Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking in ANC

Default pac-raft

Mr. Bobble, there is a new pac-raft that is made by FEATHERCRAFT in Canada. 2 chambers, urethane fabric, waterproof zipper on built in spray skirt, which can be rolled to the side, built in seat and back rest. Comes with a skeg for easy tracking. The bow and stern is one continual piece, not midered like other pac-rafts. No Asian parts or build. 6lbs. Check them out.
    feathercraft.com
    There is also a 8'6" one with frame and oars, with heavy duty urethane fabric that weighs in total, under 20lbs.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-05-2010 at 23:35.

goo, do you have a pic of one of these boats packed up. a packraft aint a packraft if it doesn't pack up to an acceptable size to be able to pack. thanks, abel6wt

Default feathercraft pacraft

On the not so tight roll up after the Fairbanks show-- I just measured her at 6"x21", but quite sure she will go much smaller if i had taken the time.
    Goo

Wink

Goo

Yes we need to see some eye candy !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Little Su

Jim Gonski wanted to try his new packraft on real whitewater, so we went to the Little Su. We went as far down as the park, and it was nice sunny warm day for boating. If you are bored with the guard rail run, on Willow, try the section on the Little Su from the Motherlode down to sixteen mile for starts. There are two or three gnarly drops that can be portaged if you want and several others that demand attention. Past sixteen mile it gets alot steeper and everything comes at you really fast. Past the park you will encounter even steeper sections, which contain most of the noted drops in the guidebooks.
    Here is how you look at the Little Su,- it is all class III - IV+ drops which become stacked closer together the farther you go down the stream, and is arguably class V in the bottom section at most flows because of this. At lower to medium flows there is recovery time, but it is not much, so this is why you see some kayakers refer to the bottom as class IV at around 500cfs. But don't let that fool you by trying to compare it with the guard rail run, only by reading guidebook ratings.
    cheers, MO

Default Here is the new Feathercraft packraft getting ready for the water

Just did a test one of Feathercraft packraft (Baylee 1) vs. Alpacka Yukon Yak. The Yak is a bit lighter, the rolled-up boat about an inch smaller diameter.

Feathercraft has a Halkey Roberts valve, which means you can pump it up with a pump FAST, or still use the airbag provided (which has a valve attached). Sprayskirt with shoulder straps is sweet. Fabric is more beefy; The extra weight is well worth it; the double chamber is excellent; my impression is that this boat will last nearly forever. Welded seams are bomber.

I have two extras of these that I brought up from Feathercraft's home base in Vancouver. The first is a prototype that I had FC make for me prior to their release of the Baylees. This fabric is super beefy, and the packraft weighs about 9 lb. with the spray skirt. The second one is the new Baylee with lightweight fabric, and it weighs 8 lb. with the spray skirt.

Let me know if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

Thanks,
    Bobble
    I placed my order for an unrigged explorer w/ Alpaca directly on Friday and it should have it's spray skirt attached and be on it's way to AK by the middle of next week.

Watergrl, sent you a PM