Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Deep Creek Salt Report????

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default Deep Creek Salt Report????

    Any word on how the king and halibut fishing has been now that the launch is open?

  2. #2

    Default

    Did you see the other recent thread regarding this?

    I don't know about out of Deep Creek, but there are plenty of butt to be had in K-Bay right now. We got a nice little 46 incher yesterday (plus a bunch of 12 and 15's.

    I am hoping to make it up to Whiskey Gulch in the next few days. If I do I'll keep you posted.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    527

    Default

    They started launching and halibut are being caught in shallow water... haven't heard much about kings yet. Gonna try Sunday if weather cooperated.
    www.akfishology.com

    fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    195

    Default D.C. Halibut

    Lot of "chickens" in 60', few 20-30#.

  5. #5

    Default

    I made the run up from Homer today. Started at the north Anchor Point sign and hooked into a nice king about 5 minutes after I dropped my downrigger. Unfortunately it snapped my leader after about a minute of fighting it (I was using a leader I'd caught another king on a few days ago). I didn't get to see it, but it was stripping line off my reel and I couldn't stop it. I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking in the 25 to 30 pound range.

    I trolled all the way up to the south Stariski sign, pulled everything and motored up to the north sign, dropped my gear and about 5 minutes later hooked another king. I had a fresh leader on this time and after some drag ripping runs and about 5 minutes I had a nice 25 to 30 lb. king next to the boat. I'm not interested in filling up my king slots just yet, so I unhooked it in the water and let it swim away.

    I then trolled all the way up past Happy Valley and there were about a dozen or so boats working that stretch. I didn't get any more fish in that time, so I headed for the 6 fathom line off of Stariski to try for butt.

    I hooked into a little chicken after about 10 minutes and then about 10 minutes later pulled in one that was about 48 inches (by hand span measurement) that I released. Then about 10 minutes after that I pulled another one in that I actually put the tape on and it was exactly 44 inches.
    I released this one, too, and kept at it a little while longer through the slack (I caught this one right at slack tide on a pretty small tide swing day which according to some people can't be done) and about 10 minutes after that I hooked a 17 pounder that I decided would be good grilling fare.

    I then went in to fish the outgoing tide and dropped my gear right at the south Stariski sign and only about 3 minutes after I sat down my reel started singing and I had another king on the line. I got a look at this one once, and it appeared to be about the same size as the one I released (25 - 30 pound range), but the wind blew my boat around, the line wrapped around my downrigger cable and snapped immediately. I was going to release it anyway, but there went my nice flasher. Oh well.

    So there certainly are kings around in the Anchor to Deep Creek stretch. And also some decent halibut.

  6. #6
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I made the run up from Homer today. Started at the north Anchor Point sign and hooked into a nice king about 5 minutes after I dropped my downrigger. Unfortunately it snapped my leader after about a minute of fighting it (I was using a leader I'd caught another king on a few days ago). I didn't get to see it, but it was stripping line off my reel and I couldn't stop it. I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking in the 25 to 30 pound range.

    I trolled all the way up to the south Stariski sign, pulled everything and motored up to the north sign, dropped my gear and about 5 minutes later hooked another king. I had a fresh leader on this time and after some drag ripping runs and about 5 minutes I had a nice 25 to 30 lb. king next to the boat. I'm not interested in filling up my king slots just yet, so I unhooked it in the water and let it swim away.

    I then trolled all the way up past Happy Valley and there were about a dozen or so boats working that stretch. I didn't get any more fish in that time, so I headed for the 6 fathom line off of Stariski to try for butt.

    I hooked into a little chicken after about 10 minutes and then about 10 minutes later pulled in one that was about 48 inches (by hand span measurement) that I released. Then about 10 minutes after that I pulled another one in that I actually put the tape on and it was exactly 44 inches.
    I released this one, too, and kept at it a little while longer through the slack (I caught this one right at slack tide on a pretty small tide swing day which according to some people can't be done) and about 10 minutes after that I hooked a 17 pounder that I decided would be good grilling fare.

    I then went in to fish the outgoing tide and dropped my gear right at the south Stariski sign and only about 3 minutes after I sat down my reel started singing and I had another king on the line. I got a look at this one once, and it appeared to be about the same size as the one I released (25 - 30 pound range), but the wind blew my boat around, the line wrapped around my downrigger cable and snapped immediately. I was going to release it anyway, but there went my nice flasher. Oh well.

    So there certainly are kings around in the Anchor to Deep Creek stretch. And also some decent halibut.

    Sweet! Thanks for the report Muttley! I'm heading down to Ninilchik and taking a salmon/halibut combo charter out of there on Friday. I hope the weather holds up. We are going to spend two nights in Homer also, should be a pretty sweet weekend...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I made the run up from Homer today. Started at the north Anchor Point sign and hooked into a nice king about 5 minutes after I dropped my downrigger. Unfortunately it snapped my leader after about a minute of fighting it (I was using a leader I'd caught another king on a few days ago). I didn't get to see it, but it was stripping line off my reel and I couldn't stop it. I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking in the 25 to 30 pound range.
    Just curious why you would re-use a leader from a few days ago that has already caught a king?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Just curious why you would re-use a leader from a few days ago that has already caught a king?
    Essentially two really idiotic reasons---frugal and lazy! I was by myself and didn't really think about it. I wouldn't do that with a client, though. Bad for business!

    BTW---I need to correct something I said in my report below. I went out to the 12 fathom line and not "6 fathoms" as I said there.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the report Muttley! I'm heading down to Ninilchik and taking a salmon/halibut combo charter out of there on Friday. I hope the weather holds up. We are going to spend two nights in Homer also, should be a pretty sweet weekend...

    Fish On!
    Yeah, good luck. I don't want to make any predictions because we all know how it can go out there, but I'll be heading back up that way the next day I possibly can. Should be some decent catching going on.

  10. #10
    Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    My son and I went out of Deep Creek Sat. What a beautiful day. Rode out about 30 minutes in 1 foot seas and anchored up. Had halibut on in about 2 minutes. Limited out in an hour after throwing back 4 or 5. Kept the 25-30 pounders and pulled anchor. Trolled South of cape Ninilchik for about an hour and a half. Had no luck there but saw a couple being caught. All in all a pretty good day. The only bad part was the kid flat out outfished me. There will be a rematch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#
    338157869

  11. #11
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default no good deed goes unpunfished.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    The only bad part was the kid flat out outfished me.
    sure that isn't "out flatfished you" ? ...



    aaargh... couldn't help myself
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  12. #12
    Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    sure that isn't "out flatfished you" ? ...



    aargh... couldn't help myself
    I like that HD. I guess I have been out flatfished.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#
    338157869

  13. #13

    Default

    Kings galore between Anchor and Stariski today. We retained the 3 in the picture and released 6 more that were about the same size. One of the ones we kept was a "white" king.

    The halibut came from areas about 3 to 5 miles out.

    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  14. #14
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Kings galore between Anchor and Stariski today. We retained the 3 in the picture and released 6 more that were about the same size. One of the ones we kept was a "white" king.

    The halibut came from areas about 3 to 5 miles out.



    Are those Ugly Sticks? I didn't think you could catch fish, especially LIMITS of butt and kings on Ugly Sticks... What was the tide doing while you caught the halibut? Slack? Surely not slack tide AND Ugly Sticks. Impossible. People who insist on using "the best equipment" are probably the type who sat at home today because of the rain. Thanks for another great trip Dave, we'll be back soon.

  15. #15
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I like that HD. I guess I have been out flatfished.


    Glad to see you and your boy got some time out on the water to just enjoy each other. See you in July
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Are those Ugly Sticks? I didn't think you could catch fish, especially LIMITS of butt and kings on Ugly Sticks... What was the tide doing while you caught the halibut? Slack? Surely not slack tide AND Ugly Sticks. Impossible. People who insist on using "the best equipment" are probably the type who sat at home today because of the rain. Thanks for another great trip Dave, we'll be back soon.
    Sorry. forgot to mention that for some reason we had a lot of trouble catching any halibut when the tide was running and started hooking up as soon as it started to go slack. I'm not sure what we were thinking since some people seem to think slack is the worst time to fish for halibut since they won't bite then, but I'm sure glad we kept fishing. Can you believe our audacity.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  17. #17

    Default

    I love Ugly Stiks! Have two in my truck.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  18. #18
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Sorry. forgot to mention that for some reason we had a lot of trouble catching any halibut when the tide was running and started hooking up as soon as it started to go slack. I'm not sure what we were thinking since some people seem to think slack is the worst time to fish for halibut since they won't bite then, but I'm sure glad we kept fishing. Can you believe our audacity.
    Hmm. Sounds like a response to an earlier debate. Too bad you didn't actually read what I wrote.

    I mentioned how I had some tough luck fishing on days when the tides were super flat and there was hardly any current and the fish just weren't biting. I cited that I saw several charter boats out fishing quite late that day (5 pm) that would normally be in around 1. You then in your rage shot down my opinion saying it needed to be dispelled, and that halibut will readily bite whatever they come across.

    I never said slack tide wasn't a good time to fish. Some of my favorite spots I can only fish when the tide is slacking off. My point was that I thought days with little tidal fluctuations were not key days to fish, IN MY OWN OPINION.

    Muttley I understand you have many years of fishing lower Cook Inlet/Kachemak Bay and respect that. But your attitude to many members of this board is discouraging. There's no problem with debating, but you act like you are God's gift to saltwater fishing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Hmm. Sounds like a response to an earlier debate. Too bad you didn't actually read what I wrote.

    I mentioned how I had some tough luck fishing on days when the tides were super flat and there was hardly any current and the fish just weren't biting. I cited that I saw several charter boats out fishing quite late that day (5 pm) that would normally be in around 1. You then in your rage shot down my opinion saying it needed to be dispelled, and that halibut will readily bite whatever they come across.

    I never said slack tide wasn't a good time to fish. Some of my favorite spots I can only fish when the tide is slacking off. My point was that I thought days with little tidal fluctuations were not key days to fish, IN MY OWN OPINION.

    Muttley I understand you have many years of fishing lower Cook Inlet/Kachemak Bay and respect that. But your attitude to many members of this board is discouraging. There's no problem with debating, but you act like you are God's gift to saltwater fishing.
    You know, I think both of you are right, fishing is well.....just fishing. Dave is very helpful normally. And has lots of experience, as do you. Make no mistake however, as I AM GOD'S GIFT TO SALTWATER FISHING......LOL....

  20. #20
    Member Jack in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ninilchik/Anchorage/Arizona
    Posts
    91

    Smile Great forum

    My son sent the link to me. I looked. I joined. Thanks.

    And hello to T.R.Bauer a fellow C-Dory Cbrat.

    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •