Thread: New To BackCountry Skiing

Default New To BackCountry Skiing

Ok folks I am a noob to the backcountry skiing scene here in AK. I need some info on where to go and if there are any groups to go out with as I do not wish to travel alone.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

What do you want to do? As in, are you more interested in touring or skinning up to ski down?

The two hotbeds of backcountry skiing are Hatcher Pass and Turnagain Pass. As far as I'm concerned, Hathcher's is closer, but the snow conditions are usually better in Turnagain. Turnagain has the best of both worlds as well - great mountains for decent and some nice valleys to explore if you're more into touring. In addition, the entire south side of the road is off-limits to motorized use, so there are always fresh lines to ski.

Let me know what it is you like to do and I'll try to give you some better advice.

-Brian

Smile

I am really interested in skinning up to ski down as my set up is probably not the best for touring.

I'm always up for a new partner. I might be heading to Turnagain on Sunday - I'll keep you posted. Do you have an avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe? (Also, do you telemark or do you have Radonee (AT) gear? Just curious.)

-Brian

Sweet, I have Touring inserts for my alpine bindings, and all necessary avy gear (Beacon, shovel, probe, etc.) Keep me posted I am game for heading up to the pass to break my new gear in.

Thanks,

Jered

Jered - Hey, I thought I was going to be able to get out, but it looks like it's not going to work this weekend. I'll keep you posted on possible future trips.

-Brian

Brian,

I am tied up tomorrow as well. I tested my skins and inserts at Glen alps and I was pleased. So now I am pumped to go where there is actual snow.

Thanks

Jered

Default Anyone gotten any good turns in anywhere lately?

Just wanted to find out where the good skiing is lately. Let me know..

Thanks

Not much of it to be had, unfortunately. Well, the base layer is still deep, so that's good news as we head into spring, but there was a heavy surface hoar layer that built after the last thaw cycle, which will lead to increased avalanche danger as we get more snow. They think that much of it was blown away by storms before being covered, though, so it might not turn out to be too bad. Keep an eye on the avalanche reports before heading out if we get new snow.

Anyhow, there isn't anywhere local that has great conditions right now, but they're not terrible either....from what I hear, that is. I haven't hit the mountains in a looooooong time, unfortunately. I'm still up for a partner, but I just haven't been able to make it happen lately. I hear that Hiland (South Fork Eagle River) is almost completely bare from the last round of warm temps. If it were me, I'd head towards Turnagain Pass for good snow cover. Spring skiing should be awesome up high in the Pass this year....I can't wait!

-Brian

Sweet... I am looking to head up to Turnagain this weekend. Haven't gotten anyone to head out with me but I am thinking it could be a good time.

Was up at TP this past Wed. It was pretty nice up there. Didn't venture too high up as avalanche activity was touchy. Make sure you look at the avalanche forecast before you head up there http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/glacier/advisory.html

they even have an 800 number to call

things looked pretty stable up there but we stayed on 30 degree slopes or so. there is a large layer of new snowall over the last two weeks and a old weaker layer. if you aren't familiar with proper route selection for avalanche avoidance, I would steer clear of big slopes. A potential slab of 2 feet or so could let go on that weaker layer.

Herman

Thanks for the advice. I look at that site regularly. Went up to TAP today it was a bluebird powder day. Not bad for a first experience.