Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Theodore, Lewis & Chuitna rivers closed to king fishing

  1. #1

    Exclamation Theodore, Lewis & Chuitna rivers closed to king fishing

    Not sure if this has been posted yet. State has shut down the Theodore, Lewis & Chuitna rivers to king fishing including catch n' release. Southcentral tribs including the Deska will also be monitored for low returning numbers.

    Worried that another dismal king salmon season is looming, biologists at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Tuesday closed three more Southcentral king salmon fisheries before the first salmon arrived.

    http://www.adn.com/2010/05/04/126375...fisheries.html
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    At least the Commercial take will somewhat be limited as well, not near enough but if even one fish makes it up river, it will be worth it. Too durn bad the State don't have the guts to stop the Subsistence Fishery as well, but it is what it is.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member klickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    196

    Unhappy

    That sucks. Time to start changing my plans for June. Well its good in the long run but brutal for the lodges, and the residents over there.

    KLICKMAN

  4. #4
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    subsistence fishery closes last... And thats how it should be
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    more rivers to added in the coming days..............

  6. #6
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default Watch the Kenai also

    Saw a report on the news this morning.An ADF&G biologist was talking about low runs on the Kenai this year as well.Didn't sound too promising.Be aware be very aware !!!!!!!!!

  7. #7

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    subsistence fishery closes last... And thats how it should be
    More often than not, not at all. Even though in some drainages, they are responsible for the preponderance of the catch. The runs are truly in danger of extinction in some drainages and yet, the nets go out. And.....that is NOT how it should be.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member klickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    196

    Default

    As of Yesterday the Tyonek subsistance fisherman were netting.

  9. #9

    Thumbs down Commercial closure??

    Ya sort of closed except that it is open 1 mile south of the Chuitna which is right in front of Tyonek so the Tyonek commercial guys along with the subsistance guys see no change, I think thats a strange place to have the cut off line kinda makes me go HMMM! you know if it smells like a rat and it looks like...... yes I will be asking some questions to our friends at fish and bribe oops I mean game
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  10. #10
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    The million dollar question is, how many fish do you think will end up at the dump?? Whole, edible fish thrown in the dump by said netting groups? Yep

  11. #11

    Unhappy

    The Chuit has a decent run.... Why would they close this river?

  12. #12

    Default The Chuit has a decent run.... Why would they close this river?

    To keep some people off it!
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  13. #13
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    To keep some people off it!
    BINGO!! Whata' we got for the winners johnny?? IMO this whole deal is just plan crooked and I really wish there could be a solution but I see a long battle ahead of the folks over there that don't live inside the gate...

  14. #14
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    The subsistence fishery at last look has a reported catch equal to that of the commercial set net fishery. Emphasis on "reported." It doesn't make any sense to leave all nets out a mile DOWNSTREAM of the spot they want protected, does it?

  15. #15

    Default

    I think it makes sense if they think the closures are enough to make the goals in those streams. Subsistence has priority in times of shortage, so restricting sport and commercial should come first. If the goals aren't met again this summer then subsistence will be next. The conspiracy theory talk is just plain crazy. After all DNR and F&G has done to maintain public access in the Chiutna do you really think they would turn around and close it if they didn't have a concern? Missing a goal 3 years in a row has you knocking on the door to a stock of concern.

  16. #16
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    More often than not, not at all. Even though in some drainages, they are responsible for the preponderance of the catch. The runs are truly in danger of extinction in some drainages and yet, the nets go out. And.....that is NOT how it should be.
    Yet the commercial fishing interests are still allowed to go out and rape waters, but it is the sportfishers that have minimal impact that take it in the shorts when the time comes to shut down fishing activity.
    Now what ?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Yet the commercial fishing interests are still allowed to go out and rape waters, but it is the sportfishers that have minimal impact that take it in the shorts when the time comes to shut down fishing activity.

    what an immature outlook. you are near-sighted sir and completely out of touch with the history of salmon harvest on cook inlet waters.

    you really should meet some commercial fisherman and learn a few things about their livelihood. have you ever been to kalgin island or any netting site on the inlet?

    please compare sportfishing pressures on cook inlet streams, even the ones that require planes to get to, compared to those same pressures 20 years ago. or were you even here?



    you believe that rod and reel fisherman have minimal impact on chinook in cook inlet.
    just how many years have you fished for kings on these waters?

  18. #18

    Default

    Last year the troopers confiscated a couple of native nets fishing to close to the mouth. That can't be good for the runs. The river was really low and clear most of the month of June. You could see fish in some of the runs. They were on the small size last year and a lot of jacks.

  19. #19
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    what an immature outlook. you are near-sighted sir and completely out of touch with the history of salmon harvest on cook inlet waters.

    you really should meet some commercial fisherman and learn a few things about their livelihood. have you ever been to kalgin island or any netting site on the inlet?

    please compare sportfishing pressures on cook inlet streams, even the ones that require planes to get to, compared to those same pressures 20 years ago. or were you even here?



    you believe that rod and reel fisherman have minimal impact on chinook in cook inlet.
    just how many years have you fished for kings on these waters?
    Take a close look at my grid coordinates. I live in one of the largest commercial fishing ports in the SW. I can tell you horror stories about by-catch, waste and creek robbers and you are going to tell me that rod & reel sportfishermen are going to have a higher impact than draggers and gillnetters?

    And yes I was.
    Now what ?

  20. #20
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    I think the subsistence fisherman should be at least cutback some. It would be laughable to say they need it to actually live off the subsistence, it's just not the case (this goes for Tyonek and other folks). The Chuit still has a decent run of kings (far better than any river in the valley) and could probably be brought back in 3 years or so.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •