Thread: 2-Piece Vs. 4 Piece Rods

Question 2-Piece Vs. 4 Piece Rods

I've always used two-piece rods, but recently purchased a pair of four-piece travel rods for fishing at a friend's remote cabin this summer.

Obviously, the four-piece rods offer an advantage in portability. Yet, how do they compare with two-piece rods as far as strength and sensitivity? Is there a significant difference?

Just wondering whether there's a comprise involved and what to expect when I finally get to wet a line...

High quality 4-piece rods don't give up anything to 2-piece rods. They're easier to carry, easier to store, and fish every bit as well. 2-piece are a little cheaper, but I'll never buy another one.

Some say a four piece is stiffer and not as smooth to cast, but I think those days are long gone with the advances in technology. I don't think you lose anything, at least in the moderate to high end rods. The only 2 piece I still fish is a Sage RPL + 5 weight just because I love the RPL so much.

I have a 2, 3, and 4 piece fly rods. I like the 2 piece better since its faster to assemble. Other than that, I haven't seen a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Some say a four piece is stiffer and not as smooth to cast, but I think those days are long gone with the advances in technology. I don't think you lose anything, at least in the moderate to high end rods. The only 2 piece I still fish is a Sage RPL + 5 weight just because I love the RPL so much.
    You know your rods. I have a 4 and a 6 in the RPL+ series. I bought the 6 first and liked it so much, I tracked down the 4 a couple of years after they were discontinued.

I like the 3 and 4 piece rods better for traveling, but I haven't noticed a big difference in how they fish. Any new rods from here on out will be 4 piece, just because it seems like I'm traveling to fish more and with baggage regulations, I expect to have more difficulty carrying my 2 piece rods on planes in the future.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Old ferrules didn't flex as much. The new ones are much more consistent with the action of the rest of the rod.

The convenience of a four piece is worth it to me, I will avoid buying another two piece fly rod - if I can help it. Sometimes you're not in control of where and when you "have to" buy a rod

Most rod dealers will tell you a 4 piece rod has more points it can fail. That's true, but if you get a rod size properly suited for your game, it won't matter and a 4-piece will be just as sturdy as a 2-piece.

Default Rods

I've found the best advice is that if you go to 4 or 5 piece you need to go to the premium rods. Two piece you can be more of a cheap charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    High quality 4-piece rods don't give up anything to 2-piece rods. They're easier to carry, easier to store, and fish every bit as well. 2-piece are a little cheaper, but I'll never buy another one.
    I have to agree with this.

the portability of a 4 piece is so good that I think it outweighs the downsides (very few with newer technology). you may not think you need a small packable rod, but what are you doing in 2 years or 5 since most high quality rods have lifetime warranty's you will have this rod a long time and you don't know when the opportunity comes that you will need a more packable rod.