Thread: Double set trigger problem

Default Double set trigger problem

I'm new to muzzle loading and have recently bought my first bp rifle, a TC Hawken. It is second hand and seems to have been well cared for. My only gripe is the double triggers. I don't really understand them but I don't think they work. When I go to the full cocked position, the rear trigger is just kinda loose. I can then fire the gun with the front trigger but I would guess the trigger pull is 7 or 8 pounds with a fair amount of slack to take up first. I removed the lock and trigger assembly and they both look new inside. I'm not sure if I just don't know how to use the gun properly or if something is out of whack. Any help from you muzzle loader gurus is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

there should be a little screw between the triggers that you turn to adjust. it is accesible from the trigger guard. You dont need to remove anything. Just keep playing with that till you get your results. When you set the rear trigger you should feel a stiff resistance and a click. that means your set. Then use the front trigger.

Matt, thanks for the help...BUT, what do you mean "set the rear trigger". How exactly do I do that. I think you need to squeeze the rear trigger to set it but nothing seems to happen.

yeah your doing it right, sqeeze it till it clicks. It takes quite a bit of force some time. Keep fiddling with that adjustment screw. You may have to take the trigger out and inspect it to make sure nothing is blocking the levers. They are pretty simple devices, once you take it out, you can play with it to see how it works. They come out in one piece so dont worry about losing parts

Hey IFR-

Matt has you on a good course of action, but I'm going to hop in with something additional.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your trigger or that you can't fix it. But for both TC and Lyman rifles I always replace their triggers with the RE Davis Deerslayer trigger. Best $40 I've ever spent on a gun. It so vastly improves the gun that it's almost like having a new gun.

The front trigger is terrific all by itself, on the order of 3 pounds and really crisp. It's ideal for quick shots when there's no time to use the second trigger. When you pull the rear or set trigger first for precision shooting however, it turns that front trigger into something measured in ounces. Best of all for me, the rear trigger is really different shape than the front one, so there's no confusion which is which when you're in a hurry or your fingers are cold.

Thank you guys for the help. You're right, it is a pretty simple mechanism. A friend came by last night and schooled me. I had the adjustment screw in so far the trigger wouldn't set. When I stared at the trigger assy after he should me how it works I felt a little retarded. Oh well. I'm going to burn some powder today. Thanks again for the response.

Default Another Option...

If you can't work the kinks out of that double set trigger I can highly recommend the R.E. Davis company's replacement product called the Davis Deerslayer. Really a big improvement in trigger control for my Thompson Center 58. I'm so spoiled by the Davis Deerslayer that I'm now in the process of converting all my front stuffers to that trigger group.

here's the link: http://www.redaviscompany.com/1007.html
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

BB and EX, thanks for the insight on the Davis trigger. Is it adjustable to the 2-3 pound range? I don't think I can get the TC trigger heavier than 1/2 pound to a pound maybe. That's not horrible but it is lighter than my other rifles so it tends to surprise me going off. On a side note, I was SHOCKED by the accuracy of this rifle. Sitting on my butt resting on shooting sticks at 35 yards I can make 3 shots touch. My eyes fail me a bit beyond that but at 50 and 100 yards shooting the same way I can keep them in the black. GREAT sport! I'm sorry I waited so long to try it.

If you're asking whether the triggers can be adjusted so the pull weight after setting is in the 2-3 pound range, I dunno. I haven't tried it on the high end.

But I'll say that without setting the rear trigger, the front triggers on all of mine come in somewhere in the 3-4 pound range. And that's why I like them. I get the normal trigger pull I like without having to fiddle with the set trigger first. It's really ideal for hunting and the occasional quick shot. I never even think of pulling the set trigger first unless I've got a rest and lots of time for the shot.

EX1811--- Have you tried increasing the pull weight once the set trigger is engaged?

Default Trigger pull

My Davis did not need any adjustment, as it is the finest trigger group I've ever worked with. Suites my needs perfectly! Tim at the Davis company is highly "Customer Service" oriented and I am sure he could hone and polish to whatever specs a shooter desired.

That said when I got my first trigger group I was dissatified with the circumference of the rear trigger. I'm not sure if my particular trigger group was an anomoly but my big fat man sized index finger could not fit in that little "Girly" rear set trigger circumference. I spoke to Tim about it and he fixxed the problem pronto. I took some photos showing how much gap I had between the rear set trigger and the trigger guard and Tim massaged that trigger perfectly. It's now opened up to comfortably fit my finger and still has room within the trigger guard.

The unique shape of the pair of triggers lends itself well to feeling which trigger one is on, without having to look. In my opinion this trigger replacement is the best accesorey since I swapped out to a 58 caliber hole.

By the way Brown Bear, I'm having a set of 58 caliber 600 grain load blocks made up in the shape similar to a TC Maxi-hunter boolit. I'll let you know how they lob in .....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror