Thread: What size and type bullet?

Default What size and type bullet?

I am planning to hunt dall sheep and interior grizzley on the same hunt with a 7mm rem. mag. and would like to know what brand and grain of bullet would be best? Or would a rem. 338 be a better choice?

Your 7 will do just fine for sheep. I'm fond of the 150 or 160 grain Noslers, whichever shoots best. Mix in the griz and some folks will pull for the 338. If I could take both I would, but if taking only one I'd go for the 7. A premium 175 and good shooting should be all you need for the small interior griz.

Both weight about the same, I imagine. Take the one you can shoot best. Now, the .338WM with a 225-grain Triple shock would be my choice, but it's because that's the only big game rifle I have and use for all my hunting. You can find Federal premium ammo for the .338, loaded with Barnes 3-shock bullets (if you don't reload).

Thumbs up Ammo

While I agree that the optimum would be to carry both rifles (you would then have a back-up in case an accicent incapacitates a rifle). BUT, barring that option the 7MM will suffice with the application of some heavy premium projectiles. Try the 175 grn. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 175 grn. Woodleigh, these will hold up together well on tough animals and still allow you to use the range advantage of the 7mm Mag. Practice a lot and GOOD LUCK.

Thumbs up 160 Nosler

The 160gr Nosler Accubond or Partition would be excellent for interior grizz.........with Reloader 22 in the 7mm Mag.

Most Interior Grizz go 7 to 8 ft small compared to costal brown bear..........Interior Grizz just a little bigger than a black bear.
    Alaska

Default Barnes 160 TSX

The Barnes TSX in 160gr would also be a excellent load!
    Alaska

You could load up with two different types of bullet. Sight in your rifle out to 300 yards with your sheep load. When you're going to shoot a grizzly you can just switch to the heavier bullet. You should be shooting at much closer distances and the point of impact change will be marginal at the shorter distances. This way you will have the best of both readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    The 160gr Nosler Accubond or Partition would be excellent for interior grizz.........with Reloader 22 in the 7mm Mag.

Most Interior Grizz go 7 to 8 ft small compared to costal brown bear..........Interior Grizz just a little bigger than a black bear.
    What you have said is true. However, some interior grizzly bears can be quite large. For example, I know someone from Anchorage who killed a 9' 6" grizzly not too far from Fairbanks over 12 years ago. The bear made it to the records book. For some reason, salmon-eating bears of the interior, grow big enough. I have seen some large ones at places I can't mention here for obvious reasons.

Other than that, it's true that interior grizzly bears are much smaller than coastal grizzly bears, specially those bears that are isolated from salmon bearing streams. I have no idea why.

My first reaction was to go with the Barnes 160 TSX, but the more I think about it I'd go with a 175. TBBC would be good, or an A-Frame if it is available in 175.

Default heavy

Always go with the heaviest bullet of premium make for the caliber you take when heavy predators with fangs and claws are involved.

jedi

Wink

Another vote for the 160 nosler. 7 mm Mag 160 nosler partition, one of the best long range systems ever devised.Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thumbs up Barnes 160gr TSX

Most 7mm Mag I have owned did not shoot the heavy 175's well.

The 160gr is plenty for Moose and grizzly.......the excellent 160 Barnes TSX with Reloader 22.

Much flatter shooting also.....which is a big factor up on the north slope!

With the Barnes bullets you can go lighter, due to no lead loss.....very good retention.....98% or better.

I would not go lighter than 160gr or heavier!

That old bear that did not have any teeth, came into town one winter, the locals shot him about 4/5 times. Yes he was a big old boar and ready to die!
    Alaska

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

akhunter77:
    I would use a 160 grain Nosler Partition.
    Handload'em or get the Factory Loads from Federal.
    Smitty of the North