Thread: What Pants (Deer-Goat)

Question What Pants (Deer-Goat)

What pants do you guys wear to get up to the goats or deer in the alpine? You know the kind that keep you dry but don't get you wet from sweating from hiking uphill for three hours. Do you go cheap and disposable or expensive? Breathable or just waterproof or just hope they dry out?

I went expensive for my kodiak hunt and got a set of shoeller dryskin pants made by Westcomb. They are pretty water resistant but certainly not water proof. I honestly care less about how water proof my pants are compared to how fast they dry. The Westcombs Dry extremely fast and they are pretty darn durable.

Default Swazi Micro Dribacks

You might consider the Swazi Micro Dribacks. They breath well, dry quickly, and have a waterproof seat for when you sit to glass. I've been very pleased in using them for most alpine hunts as they're non-binding when climbing.

They're available in camo and olive colors.

http://swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Hunti...ribacks%C2%AE/

I'm with LuJon on this. How quickly the pants dry is the most important thing.

My view is not: "What will keep me dry?". Instead, I tell myself: "You will get wet". I'll get wet either from sweat, or rain, or both. So I hike in softshell pants, and if it's not raining, I vent them wherever there are zippers and snaps, including the fly. I keep my long johns handy. After the heavy climbing and it's time to slow down, the right synthetic pants will dry quickly. If I get chilled, I put on the long johns. For glassing, I sit on a plastic bag - the same one I put fresh liver in later.

Last fall I hiked in pants that had hip zips. I thought the whole idea was kind of goofy at first, but they work in a similar fashion as pit zips. The zippers run from the belt down about 10". When open, they served me well to stay ventilated, cooler, and consequently dryer.

i like my sitka ascent pants. some folks haven't had good luck with them, but mine have held up so far. they dry fast and aren't as expensive as some others. i have a pair from OR as well (Exos I think) that dry pretty fast. i would have a normal pair of synthetic pants that dry fast and a pair of lightweight waterproof rain gear. most synthetic pants dry pretty fast, the thinner the better. i have multiple pairs of different hiking pants and the ascents probably dry the fastest.

I wear wind pants of the Nike/Addidas variety (though most of mine were $10 at the Old Navy Outlet). I wear these for all of my hunting and outdoors activities as they are inexpensive, dry in five minutes, and are crazy comfortable. Over those I will usually wear my Marmot Precip pants. Mostly water proof, and they also dry in almost no time at all. Very packable and only weigh a few ounces. Better yet, you can sometimes find them on clearance for less than $50. Also, the light blue/gray color blends right in with the rocks up in goat country.