Thread: Tanana River Question

Default Tanana River Question

Anyone been on the Tanana yet around the wood river area? was wondering about ice debris and any other issues, wanna try to put my bait station out maybe this weekend.

I havent been down there personally but the NOAA site lists it as partially open.

Default tanana river

I was on the river this weekend down river from nenana there was lots of ice still flowing i went down 12 miles and ran into ice jam. There is lots of ice still on banks and with this cold weather it might not melt as fast. But it might be better up river.

Default expect ice

I was over by the Tanana tonight. Lots of ice still breaking free. I'd expect ice to be coming down the Wood also. It should get a bit worse if the water rises.
    I'd also imagine that the Wood is very low. Might be a challenge getting up it. I've spent more than a little time stuck and fighting mud near the mouth.

Default thanks

I wasnt planning to go up the wood river, nor was i planning on running to run to the wood, maybe next weekend it will be clearer and safer to run the Tanana and finally set my bait up.

Default Do you know where the cabins are

There are some cabins above and below the Wood, just so you know. A couple are a bit tough to find. I'd hate to see a person go to all the work to do things right and set up a good bait and then find out they are within a mile of a cabin they knew nothing about.
    There is also at least one cabin just a short ways up the Wood also. That is the one I found one year when I was baiting and discovered I was too close. I had to move the bait. Sure would have been easier to know all of the cabin locations in advance. Oh well, I learned.