Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troopers cracking down

Default Troopers cracking down

On the way home from Whittier Sat night my trailer lights kept going off ond on and I was pulled over by a Trooper.(a mile from HOME) I just had to wiggle the plug and they came on. He was friendly and we talked a bit. He asked about the width of my boat and trailer because he said that they were going to be cracking down on oversized boats with no permit this year.. I just thought I would pass it along...

I measured my Ocean Pro and it is only 8' 4"
    Last edited by dbull66; 05-04-2010 at 21:52. Reason: SP

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not to mention... the FIRST holiday long weekend of the season will be upon us this month... and the seward highway is under serious scrutiny after last season..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

dbull66, I'm not saying this applies to you...but as an FYI to other folks...the width applies to the trailer, as well...so if you have guide-rails or other add-ons wider than the boat itself...those count. I had a sea sport with an 8.5' beam, but the trailer had high side-guide rails that added a little more than another foot to the overall "road" width.

When we came back from Sterling 2 weekends ago, the troopers were nailing people....and gladly so. It was a zoo and folks were driving like idiots. At one point I passed 3 troopers all back to back that had 3 cars stopped. I'd bet with the economy starting to drop a bit up here the state's looking to make some bucks on enforcement.

I for one am always glad to see troopers on that stretch of road. No lack of idiots out there.

I towed my new boat from Homer to Soldotna a couple days ago, it is 10.5' wide. I had a permit, signs, but my beacon light was not working, I passed 5 troopers and not one of them stopped me, maybe it had something to do with sunny skies, middle of the day, and no real need for a beacon light

Default agree with Skydiver

I too welcome the extra policing of the roads. There are idiots out there that can potentially impact us all. Many people have been killed in the last couple of years on the Seward Highway. I assure you this is not an effort by the state to generate revenue they are merely trying to save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    I too welcome the extra policing of the roads. There are idiots out there that can potentially impact us all. Many people have been killed in the last couple of years on the Seward Highway.
    I'm with you guys. I came back from the Kenai Peninsula this past Sunday, and sure enough, got passed by an SUV on a blind curve just south of Girdwood (precisely where that couple from Pennsylvania got killed in September of 2005.......I had a 5 hour wait for that one). I was driving a truck with camper and pulling a car hauling trailer at 60+ mph. I would have loved to see a Trooper coming around that blind curve at that moment.

I was born here and have been stuck in traffic on that Hwy more times than I can remember due to an accident, not to mention watching the thousands of idiots do there various tricks.
    Every year people will die on that road and it's to bad, It would be nice to put a real sign up that isn't so 'politically correct' about the whole situation when you first enter that road.

SWEET JUSTICE STORY: A truck is passing everything in sight from the pass to just before Girdwood, he is actually running people off the road on the flats just before Whittier turn-off. Then just before Girdwood turn-off at the Tesoro, there is the bridge, with water channels just before that on the ocean side of the road, that idiot was nose in on the wrong side of the Hwy sunk to the windshield! Horns and cheers roared as people went by!

It a welcoming site to see so many troopers on the road going south out anchorage. I would like to them also have a eye in the sky too. I think they hit it hard it keep the stuiped drivers tamed down i would only hope. Drive safe this summer and watch for the other guy on the road............

Glad to hear they are out there, and thanks for the reminder about attending to my trailers lights I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just upgrade to LED's.

I agree that the Seward can be a scary drive with the idiots out there. Glad to hear the Troopers are out in force.

I will not drive that road with my family in the truck without a pilot car after the near miss last year. The guy that killed that poor lady in July just past Girdwood almost killed us on a blind corner just before he ran into her and here husband.

Now the only way I will drive that road is to wait for a semi truck and use it as a pilot car. Haven't had a problem yet with this method.

You know, it is good to see a few of them around. I am actually at a loss as to where they have been in the past. There is just about no other place that I can think of where they are more needed.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleriver24 View Post
    Now the only way I will drive that road is to wait for a semi truck and use it as a pilot car. Haven't had a problem yet with this method.
    a really good idea.

i think we are averaging about one deathly (or nearly so) accident a day out here in the mat-su recently. not exactly setting a good tone for the summer. must have something to do with the pituitary gland this time of year.

wider highways are supposed to be safer, right. anyone else have their doubts?

Default Maybe they should

Was just behind a guy pulling about a 30' Cruiser about 10-12 feet wide. Pulling it with a pickup, no trailer lights, no straps to tie it down. Could not even see the truck from behind. No mirrors to see behind him..... no wide load sign. If he took a corner at 15 mph the thing would roll as it was 2 decks with a flying deck on top of that. Power lines looked a little low to me..... jee wizzz guys!!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Good!

About time the troopers start nailing trailers. That ought to be good business for them as I bet half the trailers out there aren't up to par.

And this is the BEST time of year to go over your trailer and make sure it is safe and meets the regs. That means ALL the lights, reflectors, mud flaps, functional wiring, good ground connections, good lighting connector, good tires that are inflated properly, twice as many load tie downs as you think you need, clean/repacked wheel bearings, good springs, functional hitch, safety chains, and the whole trailer chassis is structurally sound.

If your trailer isn't 100%, then please leave it at home until it is.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Welcome to my world. I'm glad this enforcement is moving from the commercial trucking world to the general public. I followed a guy leaving Anchorage today with a single axle snowmobile trailer with 2/3 of a unit of 7/16 OSB on it (2000#) and another 30 sheets or so stuffed into the back of his Tahoe with the rear hatch open. Unsafe as Hell and I hope he got stopped.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default tie it down yes

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    twice as many load tie downs as you think you need
    I love this part. Good call.

Q: Why would anyone put twice as many tie downs as necessary?
    A: Because they're smart enough to know that stuff happens and that needn't make you lose your whole rig.

Something that I often see wrong that for some reason bugs me is that the chains to the hitch need to be crossed. That's so if the trailer falls off the ball the crossed chains will act as a cradle of sorts.
    Something that somene once told me that stuck in my mind is that tie downs aren't meant to hold the boat to the trailer, they're may to hold the trailer to the boat. Makes sense when thinking about Alaska's bumpy roads.

trailer lights? that work ? GEE I thought these last 30+ years in Alaska that there was an old law that it was a requirement that at least some of the lights did not work. figured i was breaking that law.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast