Thread: Skiing still GREAT!

Talking Skiing still GREAT!

Went skiing this afternoon in the front range. Way better snowpack than I was expecting for this time of year, phenomenal spring snow conditions, and 60 degree temperatures. Don't put away the skis yet - it's still awesome up in the mountains!

Default Wow

Your a ski nut! Glad you had fun...

You could Ski Camp back Palmer Creek and wack some Black Bears this week-end...........

I was up in Turnagain Pass doing the crust routine looking for bears myself last weekend. The funhogs attempt at biathalon For the first time in years didn't see any sign, but that idea of Palmer Creek, might have to try that.

And...yet again, the skiing is still great. Went out today (5/10) and had a great time despite the high winds. Get out there, folks. There is still great snow up high!

Default New and Scared!

I am still new to the whole back country skiing (or boarding as I board) but am wondering where would be a good place to get out some night this week and learn? I have been hiking flat top several times this spring and want to try something were I can fall safely but still learn the ropes. I am descent on the board at Alyeska, but new to back country. Any tips?

Generally Peak 3 is pretty safe. Just go halfway up and you'll be on relatively mellow terrain. I'm not sure of the snow cover there, but I'd bet they still have some. There are some mellow areas in Turnagain Pass right near the road that almost certainly have decent snow as well. I'd go earlier in the day if it is sunny, a bit later if overcast.