Thread: Honda TRX 200 Steering question

Default Honda TRX 200 Steering question

I have an old 1984 Honda TRX 200 4-wheeler. The steering was loose so I took it apart. The top steering ball race is broken and it is missing some #5 5/32" steel bearings.
    My question though is related to the steering shaft itself. Is it supposed to be bent near the top where the shaft narrows? It looks factory, but I can't tell so figured somebody out there must know way more than I do, which is not much.
    I've searched the Net and did not really find anything conclusive.
    Also, has anybody come up with a different bearing set up than 26 loose steel balls in a race on both the top and bottom of the column? Sure likes like possible trouble to me trying to get it all back together.
    thanks for the help,
    ARR

OK, I found a site that might have the parts your looking for, from what I could see the steering shaft is not bent. If you have the original races/seals you might be able to find sealed bearings to replace them at Shucks, NAPA, or CarQuest or Alaska Bearing. Good luck. http://www.alaskabearing.com/PRODUCTS.htm
    http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...x-1984/o/m2540

Default thanks AKHunter

I did find that site with the click on schematics as well as one other. I did use it for parts numbers to be sure I was ordering the right stuff. Other photos led me to believe the shaft is pre-bent, but then others don't. I'll call Polaris Outpost and see if they know anything.
    The races don't look like anything you can put a sealed bearing in, but figured you guys had "been there done that" if it were possible.
    I did have fun last night pulling stuff apart and cleaning up. Found my clutch a little worn on what I would describe a pressure plate or shift plate of some sort. It is a small triangle w/ 3 holes for steel ball bearings that sit between two indexing plates. Problem with it is the site we just looked at cuts off those parts from the schematic. Guess I'll run over to the dealer to be sure.
    Changed fluids, checked some torgue on misc. bolts, pulled some damaged bulbs, and generally just putzed on the TRX. Was fun to do and within my ability. Only got sidetracked with "extra" parts a couple of time, but in the end got them all back where they belong.

Can you replace the races with sealed bearings? Or maybe Alaska Bearing has a new and improved model you could buy.

Default Don't know

The race is also the guide for the steering shaft. There does not seem to be any way to keep a bearing in place. But then maybe somebody has experience.
    Does anybody know the name of somebody around Fairbanks that has worked on 4-wheelers and might have answers?
    So far I can not find anything definitive on the bent shaft question. Some photos look like they are bent, one ad on E-bay says the shaft has a bend, and then there are pictures that look like they are straight. For $70 I'll keep looking for answers. This is a good old 4 wheeler but I am not prepared to drop hundreds back into it.