Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Any Ideas?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Achorage
    Posts
    40

    Default Any Ideas?

    Im in need of some help, ive been looking for 7 days everyday after work and having trouble getting a place far enough frim the houses or roads. Ive looked in palmer, willow, sutton if anyone has any ideas on a good place pm me. I dont want your spot just a general area to start would be nice. Also i was wondering in the bear popuation is any good at jim creek or if its a waste of time with all the wheelers out there.

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Palmer willow and sutton were all well populated and hard to hunt when i lived down there 20 years ago.. and i imgine it is worse now... you have to head inland off the road system.. find a trail pointed at nowhere and go beyond every one else... there is lots of land in that Valley that has never seen a person yet. do you have a wheeler? boat? canoe? I will be raft floating my stand in next week and getting picked up by a buddy at the other end... Just so that i can reach that area that is harder to reach by unwilling folks..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    EAFB, AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Palmer willow and sutton were all well populated and hard to hunt when i lived down there 20 years ago.. and i imgine it is worse now.....
    Not much has changed. I've been all around HOUSTON, SUTTON, WASILLA, CHUGIAK, ETC. You don't HAVE to have a wheeler but getting anywhere local, you're prob. gonna have to hike quite a bit. If you start heading around trails now, you'll see baiters hauling around their containers, food, etc. Depending on where you're at, i'd look a bit north (willow) or a bit south (hope). Just my .02, but plan on running into other baiters near the interior bowl

  4. #4
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Hope road is crawling with baiters. Just an FYI. I don't have a bait there because of that.
    All the roads out of town are covered pretty well. I see it every weekend.

    I second the canoe route...

    Taylor

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Hope road is crawling with baiters. Just an FYI. I don't have a bait there because of that.
    All the roads out of town are covered pretty well. I see it every weekend.

    I second the canoe route...

    Taylor

    This is a wonderful thing, If you guys feed them, they stay away from the Chickens, Geese, and small Children. There is room on the high side of the road, between mile .5 and mile 4.4 Hope Road, still 23" of snow in that country. (Note: Cabin at mile 5.25 otherside of creek).

    Also just past the Hope Road Cutoff is a steep powerline access road. And there is only (1) baitstation up there. The powerline comes across the mountain to the Hope Road. There is are two nice lakes up there. There is 3' of snow up there, best for an ATV in two weeks.

    Also the Old Wiebel Mine Road.

    KILL A Bear Save a CHICKEN.

  6. #6
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    This is a wonderful thing, If you guys feed them, they stay away from the Chickens, Geese, and small Children. There is room on the high side of the road, between mile .5 and mile 4.4 Hope Road, still 23" of snow in that country. (Note: Cabin at mile 5.25 otherside of creek).

    Also just past the Hope Road Cutoff is a steep powerline access road. And there is only (1) baitstation up there. The powerline comes across the mountain to the Hope Road. There is are two nice lakes up there. There is 3' of snow up there, best for an ATV in two weeks.

    Also the Old Wiebel Mine Road.

    KILL A Bear Save a CHICKEN.
    Make that two...2/3 the way up Alder Creek
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Make that 3.... Donaldson creek bait is registered. Just waiting for the snow to clear to set up

  8. #8

    Default Powerline....

    make that 5. My buddy and I have been there for the last couple of years and will be back again this year. On his stand he took a small one last year but the brown bears kept coming. After he took the small one, we did not bait for 2 weeks after, but as soon as we put more doughnuts out, they were right back.

    I dont know who all baits up there, but last season when we pulled up at the top of the road in the truck, it looked like a parking lot. Not sure if everyone was out hunting, but at 6:00 pm, that is all we could think of. When we returned after hunting there were still 4 vehicles there.

  9. #9
    Member Stogey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    561

    Default Half Mile

    Here's an image of a half-mile stretch of public land near Hope.
    Five stands, distance from A to E is about a half-mile, roughly.

    In short, Hope is crowded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Here's an image of a half-mile stretch of public land near Hope.
    Five stands, distance from A to E is about a half-mile, roughly.

    In short, Hope is crowded.

    I assume that is just the legal registered sites........?

  11. #11

    Default Wrong bait

    "Kill a Black Bear off the Hope Road, and Save the life of a Innocent Goose or Chicken".



    I guess I have been using the wrong bait. All the talk of dog food, bread, doughnuts who knew it should be ducks and geese?!?!?!

  12. #12
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Here's an image of a half-mile stretch of public land near Hope.
    Five stands, distance from A to E is about a half-mile, roughly.

    In short, Hope is crowded.


    Thanks for posting this. A buddy just went and sat on a ridgeline last week making sure he was at least 300 yards from the closest bait site and killed a 6 1/2' blackie heading to one of the sites. The internet is a wonderful thing! I think he's taking a few friends back this week sometime. Should be good hunting!

  13. #13

    Default

    Had to have been on Point Hope, up Porcupine trail ridge line, D@mm sure did not hunt the ridge line along the Hope Road........

  14. #14
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Had to have been on Point Hope, up Porcupine trail ridge line, D@mm sure did not hunt the ridge line along the Hope Road........


    Just what he told me. I guess he hunted off of some powerline trail. Looking at the map, I don't really see a ridgeline either, so I may have been mistaken, but it was definitely this area. Past the Hope road junction and then took a trail back to the right up a hill. Followed it to powerlines and found a nice spot. I haven't been there, but he told me he printed this map to take with him. I think they actually loaded up and headed down there today as well, I'll let you know how they did when he calls. I've been chasing fish all weekend or me and a couple of my buddies would be there, too. If anyone else wants to post maps of where their bait sites are, I'm sure he'd be willing to shoot some nearby bears. He had a good point: he doesn't even have to have a bait site this year and worry about spending all of his money on filling it and time cleaning it. He can just look at this map and get in the area and capitalize off of other people's work. I really appreciate you guys helping out others who don't have the time to get out and do it on their own.

  15. #15
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    I sence a little sarcasim in that last comment

  16. #16
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    No sarcasm. It really helps us/him out. I mean, I've actually been getting to fish with him this year. Last year he spent all his time and money on his bait site and would never go fishing with us. This year, I've fished with him several times. He doesn't even have a site and he's 1 for 1 on bear hunts. With those odds, I may get back into bear hunting this year and I know EXACTLY where I'm going!

  17. #17
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    Have to admit, it does make it nice..

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    and get in the area and capitalize off of other people's work. I really appreciate you guys helping out others who don't have the time to get out and do it on their own.

    What ever floats your boat............

  19. #19

    Default

    legally you can do that morally it is not something i would do . I guess we all have different standards. Exploiting another man's hard work just doesn't seem ethical.

  20. #20
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    If anyone else wants to post maps of where their bait sites are, I'm sure he'd be willing to shoot some nearby bears. He had a good point: he doesn't even have to have a bait site this year and worry about spending all of his money on filling it and time cleaning it. He can just look at this map and get in the area and capitalize off of other people's work.

    Every day Alaska loses more and more of what it used to be.......

    Sloppy seconds ain't nothin' to crow about.....

    Baffling that someone would brag about such behavior.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •