Thread: S&w 460

Default S&w 460

Since they have stopped producing the 5" barrel which of the longer barrels would be best to have cut down to 4 or 5 inches?

I'm not sure you could cut one down anymore than cutting the comp off, I believe the bbl is a liner of sorts and the lugged outside part is just a sleeve if you will. While it may be possible to cut the liner off and rethread the end I believe the 460 uses gain twist rifling, so you wouldn't have the same twist rate to start with and I believe there is a reason for this.

Good luck.

They stopped making the 460V?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

They have apparently stopped making the 5" barrel. The kid is right, there is no practical way to shorten the barrel on a 460. Too many pieces involved that all have to play together.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Arenít the custom shop barrels one piece? Don't know that it could be cut because of the gain twist but they look one piece. I wonder why they stopped making them, I love mine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I just ordered, along with 3 friends, a 460v brand new yesterday. There were 10 available. Hmm. I guess we got lucky.

I just saw a 5 inch 460 at the wasilla wal-mart
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I own one so I always take note when I see one on the shelf. In the last week I have seen them in stock at the Eielson BX and Boondock in Eagle River. I just pulled up the S&W web site and it is no longer being shown as an availible model so grab one while you can.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Did you guys happen to see the asking price?
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

969.99 I think
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Barrels on the shorter barreled X frames are two piece - an inter barrel with an outer shroud. Open the cylinder and look on the underside of the shroud where it meets the frame. There is a lug that goes into a notch in the frame and prevents the shroud from rotating. The barrel then has to go thru the shroud and thread in the frame. I don't know where the barrel contacts the shroud and holds it back against the frame. An detailed exploded diagram would be interesting to see.

I haven't checked the longer fancy barreled guns with the bipods etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Arenít the custom shop barrels one piece? Don't know that it could be cut because of the gain twist but they look one piece. I wonder why they stopped making them, I love mine.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yea I have all shrouded barrels like yours but the custom shop barrels like with the bipods and odd looking compensators threaded on the end I think are one peace.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'll check the next one I see and post here unless someone gets an earlier chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yea I have all shrouded barrels like yours but the custom shop barrels like with the bipods and odd looking compensators threaded on the end I think are one peace.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK