Thread: Luger not ejecting, any ideas?

Default Luger not ejecting, any ideas?

My son bought a 1914 Erfurt Luger and it seems like a good tight gun with matching numbers from outward appearances. The problem is it will not eject a round. The ejector grips the brass good, but will not eject. If the mag is out it will cycle and reload the spent brass.

Anyone with Luger know how had this problem or seen it? I told my son it probably isn't a big deal to fix, just figuring out what it is.

Lugers can be finicky. It would be impossible to diagnose your problem without seeing it.

Matching 1914 Erfurts should not be shot very often

If it is failing to eject, and the ejector is present and not broken, then the bolt is not cycling far enough to the rear for the case to strike the ejector and be rotated up off the bolt face. So it sounds like the extractor is doing its job and pulling the spent case out of the chamber, but the possibilities are as follows:
    1. Ejector is missing
    2. Ejector is damaged/broken
    3. Interference, drag, or weak ammo is causing the bolt to not cycle fully to the rear.
    Will it eject if you hand cycle the toggle fully to the rear?
    Don't be afraid to shoot it with modern ball ammo. These guns are great, and if kept clean and well lubed, work quite well.
    Last edited by gunbugs; 05-04-2010 at 17:59. Reason: shpelling
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

maybe the ejector is inop or missing, I need to look it over again. The extractor pulls the round out, but it never gets ejected. I don't have it with me now, but is the ejector a pin type with a spring?

On the right side of the upper receiver, there is a long, flat spring. At its forward edge it has a horizontal blade that protrudes through a small slot in the receiver into the path of the boltface. The forward edge of the blade is what does the ejecting.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default That Erfurt luger

is, in my opinion, too valuable a gun to use as a shooter, but that's up to you.