Thread: Driving from Michigan, need local knowledge

Default Driving from Michigan, need local knowledge

My parents are moving up (yeah I said up) to Kodiak in a week or two. They are driving up from Michigan and we converted a 43 (or 48, I don't remember) foot utility trailer (gooseneck) into a livable trailer with storage space. I suppose it's a little late to ask but I just found this forum, but are there any area's or stretches of road/highway that may cause them problems? If so what would you recommend for a detour? They are planning on taking the Alaskan hwy to Tot, then Glenn hwy down to Homer and the ferry across to Kodiak.

Thanks!

Have they checked to see with the Alaska Marine Highway if a trailer that long will fit on the Ferry? There is a max length of vehicle on the ferry, and I think it's around 40'.

Asside from that, there will be rough spots in the road, but there shouldn't be any areas requiring a detour. The Alcan gets improved every year.

hmm... I'll have to ask, I also hear they're also gonna run into some trouble trying to actually get on the ferry (early june) as spots fill up quick that time of the season, problem is they don't know the exact date they will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by gvsujustin View Post
    hmm... I'll have to ask, I also hear they're also gonna run into some trouble trying to actually get on the ferry (early june) as spots fill up quick that time of the season, problem is they don't know the exact date they will get there.
    If they are not on a really tight schedule, and it doesn't sound like they are, pick a date on the later side of things and if they are ahead of schedule getting there, they can stop along the way to enjoy the area without rushing straight to the ferry. There are a number of spots just between Tok and Homer where you could easily kill a few days if you had the time, not to mention along the Alaska Highway in Canada.

They need to pick up a copy of www.Milepost.com. They can find it in a bookstore as they get close to the border. It has ALL the details on the road.
    And I would definitely contact http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml and make sure they can take a trailer that size on.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/vehicles.shtml

I don't see a length restriction, but they are serious about the ramp angles and things over 25 feet long having an issue with damage at low tide.

In the past I have used them for standard tractor trailer loads with both full flat bed trailers and box trailers. No issues as long as the tide is right.

def appreciate all the help, I know they plan on taking it easy so they can enjoy the trip but are anxious to get to their post too. Emailed the Alaska Marine Hwy to ask about restrictions just to be sure, and we'll just hope for the tide to be right for ferry loading. I guess if any of you drive by homer and see a 48' trailer sitting on the ferry with a red f350 danglin in the air you know who it'll be lol.

Watch out for the frost heaves NW of Kluane Lake in Yukon Terr.
    "The older I get, the better I was."