Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: S&W AR-15 and Brown Bear ammo - range report

  1. #1

    Default S&W AR-15 and Brown Bear ammo - range report

    S&W AR-15, 16" barrel, shooting good with Brown Bear 52gr HP ammo at 2909fps five shot group at 100yds and the squares are 9/10" not 1" squares. I fired one right after the other as quick as I could acquire my target in the scope. The group at 200yds was about twice this size. The Burris Ballistic Plex mark for 200yds was right on at 200yds and I was sighted in at 3/4 inch high at 100yds.





    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Beartooth

    I don't know about Brownbear ammo, but I would try to avoid shooting any WOLF in your AR (or any "corrosive" ammo). We have had bunches of stuck casings in AR's here locally, that have been a royal pain to get out.
    Requiring MORE than just a cleaning rod to free them.

    I'm not sure if BrownBear falls into that category, and it's all fine for AK-47's...but the tighter tolerances of the AR are much less forgiving. (and much of it could be from the AZ heat!)

    Just a "heads up".

    Good looking rig (again) and nice shooting/group! GOOD on you for buying S&W! That's a PERFECT setup!
    Pretty much exactly how my current "project gun" will finish out.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Beartooth

    I don't know about Brownbear ammo, but I would try to avoid shooting any WOLF in your AR (or any "corrosive" ammo). We have had bunches of stuck casings in AR's here locally, that have been a royal pain to get out.
    Requiring MORE than just a cleaning rod to free them.

    I'm not sure if BrownBear falls into that category, and it's all fine for AK-47's...but the tighter tolerances of the AR are much less forgiving. (and much of it could be from the AZ heat!)

    Just a "heads up".

    Good looking rig (again) and nice shooting/group! GOOD on you for buying S&W! That's a PERFECT setup!
    Pretty much exactly how my current "project gun" will finish out.
    Three of us have put now close to 5,000 rounds of this Brown Bear ammo thorough our S&W AR's and not once have we had even a hint of a problem. We keep our actions oiled and go to town. Brown Bear is cleaner, smells better, faster over the chrony, and more accurate than Wolf ammo. This is good stuff and that 52gr HP is a bad dude, you ought to see it hit a gallon jug at 100yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  4. #4
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Three of us have put now close to 5,000 rounds of this Brown Bear ammo thorough our S&W AR's and not once have we had even a hint of a problem. We keep our actions oiled and go to town. Brown Bear is cleaner, smells better, faster over the chrony, and more accurate than Wolf ammo. This is good stuff and that 52gr HP is a bad dude, you ought to see it hit a gallon jug at 100yds.
    I do know that's a nice group! If it's working...I wouldn't change it.
    Lots of the issue (here) might be from the additional outdoor temperatures.
    Is the brownbear "steel case" with a laquer finish like Wolf? I'm not sure.

    I just know that here we have been having the steel/laquer cases essentially "expanding/sticking/almost glueing" themselves into the chambers on the tightly toleranced AR's...yet never a problem with the looser AK's. Strange.
    I avoid WOLF ammo in the AR because of this...and it's just dirty ammo.

    The Brownbear may be different/cleaner.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I do know that's a nice group! If it's working...I wouldn't change it.
    Lots of the issue (here) might be from the additional outdoor temperatures.
    Is the brownbear "steel case" with a laquer finish like Wolf? I'm not sure.

    I just know that here we have been having the steel/laquer cases essentially "expanding/sticking/almost glueing" themselves into the chambers on the tightly toleranced AR's...yet never a problem with the looser AK's. Strange.
    I avoid WOLF ammo in the AR because of this...and it's just dirty ammo.

    The Brownbear may be different/cleaner.
    It is steel case and laquer finish but as I said we are not having any problems and I mean none of us (which is four of us total who are using this Brown Bear ammo) and we are really putting some rounds down range.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6
    Member arizonaguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona/Alaska
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Good enough, Beartooth. I believe that Braownbear is cleaner than Wolf, so if it's working why change.
    Just wanted to give a heads up on WOLF.

    And again, that's one SWEET Smitty! Just how I want mine setup!

  7. #7
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Just think of what the groups would look like if you read the flags, had a good trigger?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just think of what the groups would look like if you read the flags, had a good trigger?
    Add to that me using my on reloads
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •