Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bullet are you using in your .3xx for Bear and Moose HUNTING?

Default What bullet are you using in your .3xx for Bear and Moose HUNTING?

I'm looking at getting a .3xx (Weatherby) of some kind...and I'm wondering what the latest and greatest Heavy Hunting round (ah-la "corelocked"/partitioned style) that is being used in Alaska typical of say a .300 or .375 (Weatherby or H&H).

What say you? What's the latest/greatest choices?
    any good links/suggestions.

I really like Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Nosler Partitions and Accubonds and I want to like TSXs but my rifle doesn't shoot them very well.

Lots of good choices out there these days for high velocity .30s....

I use the Weatherby .340 with the 225 gr T.B.B.C. Seems to work very well on both moose & bear. Love my .340! Leopold 4x14 scope installed. Zero at 300 yards. Perfect! 4" high at 100, 4.5" high at 200.

I shot my last bear with a swift a-frame. Dead bear. Worked great.

I prefer the Barnes TSX for dispatching critters, and I use them for all of my big game calibers.

I have always used a 30.06 and I'm switching it up this year to reload some 200gr Partitions for them.

Mountaintrekker

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Do they make other bullets other than hard cast or Nosler Partitions?

For the .30-06 I use the 180 grain WOODLEIGH's and for the .375H&H I use the 270 grain WOODLEIGH's I have had perfect luck with them for over 10 years now. As long as I can get the WOODLEIGH's from Huntington I don't plan to change.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Do they make other bullets other than hard cast or Nosler Partitions?

If I was back to shooting caribou again in that area and the occasional moose I would shoot nothing but Remington core locks.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default woodleighs

BigAl Corlane sporting goods in DawsonCreek BC sells woodleigh bullets I think they are the only dealer in Canada that sells them. If you ever need some and your supply has dried up give them a call they are great guys and will ship stuff.

After the performance of the 168gr TSX in my 300 RUM on my moose last year I wouldn't hesitate to take any animal short of rhino/elephant with it. Flat shooting, excellent penetration and expansion, dead critters. I'll be running the 270gr TSX out of my 375 RUM when I get it finished. I use tsx in everything running faster than 2800fps, usually use the 286gr partition out of my 9.3x62.

300 gr FMJ

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I'm looking at getting a .3xx (Weatherby) of some kind...and I'm wondering what the latest and greatest Heavy Hunting round (ah-la "corelocked"/partitioned style) that is being used in Alaska typical of say a .300 or .375 (Weatherby or H&H).

What say you? What's the latest/greatest choices?
    any good links/suggestions.
    .375 Weatherby Barnes TSX .300 grain for moose.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

375 ruger 270 grain Hornadys
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I have no idea what the latest and greatist bullets are. I don't hunt bear and my 300H&H shoots through moose easily using Speer 180s. Sorry, but they work too good to change and are cheap.

Cheap is GOOD! Rbuck, is that a 721, by chance? any pictures?

I use the old lathe turned Partitions in my 06, 200gr weight gonna try the Accubomb in the same weight when I run out of the old ones, free Accubonds are too cheap not to try.
    Gonna use either 200gr TSX or 250gr Speer GS in the Whelen.
    350 TSX or Speer HotCor in the same weight in Ol' Thunder the 458.
    350gr Swift Aframes in the big levergun.
    And if the deal goes through on the 30-30 I'm hoping to snag I'll probably either load the 170 Speer Flatnose or a 170 hardcast with a gascheck.

The various Hotcors are the only design I haven't had great success with in the past, but I hear good things, no more Hornady bullets for this guy.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    375 ruger 270 grain Hornadys
    same for my 375H&H... 270 grain Hornadys. Been using the round nose for years, but they are no longer made. when I run out I may switch to the 300 grain round nose. of course your Weatherby will be shooting a bit faster and perhaps a partition or solid bullet may be better for you.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I have always used a 30.06 and I'm switching it up this year to reload some 200gr Partitions for them.

Mountaintrekker

I have a box of the old, cal .30 in 200 grain partition bullets and a box of the 165 grain Partitions old style soft point blunt nose. I don't use them anymore since I switched to WOODLEIGH, looking to sell these two boxes. These are the old style bullets made before 1975.

Arizonaguide
    My 300H&H is a 1952 M70 Win and says 300 magnum on the barrel. My computer wizzard (wife) is not home so pics will have to wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast