Thread: Herring in Seward Harbor???

Default Herring in Seward Harbor???

As a kid I used to catch herring in the Seward Harbor about this time of year. Does anyone know if they are any in the harbor this year yet? Hoping to get some time in with the kids.

I'm not 100% sure on the timing of things, but you can still get herring down there. I started getting mine in Whittier last year. I never knew you could do it yourself. It's actually kind of entertaining reeling in a Sabiki Rig with 5 or 6 herring on it....

Last summer I jigged up some small but very oily herring that were actually excellent eating in Whittier.

The herring in Seward around this time of year that I recall were pre-spawn and MUCH larger than the herring we were jigging up in the summer time. Not so good for eating purposes since they are loaded with eggs and milt right now (like a dark salmon ready to spawn), but they were fun as a kid and definitely make good bait. The fully formed roe is also considered a delicacy by many of my Asian friends.

Well if anyone hears about it, would appreciate a post.

We were casting from the very end of the road by the circle of restaurants and stuff out into the bay. Pitch a sabiki rig out with about an ounce of weight as far as you can, let it drop for a while...they hit it on the way down...then reel it in. Most of the ones we got were actually bigger then I wanted, some real fatties, most between 10-12 inches. Not sure where you were, but location may have had something to do with the size.

Mine were bait, so I wasn't paying much attention to their spawn status, although it was a bit later in the summer and I'm thinking they had already spawned.

sounds fun! What about the docks, are there herring there?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.