Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own newer 6x6 Big Boss?

Default Anyone own newer 6x6 Big Boss?

Does anyone own one of the newer Polaris Big Boss with the 850 motor? If you do, how do you like it? Heard horror stories about fuel consumption and from the literature they picked up a few pounds as well. Are they as easy to handle as the older models with the 500 engines?
    Tennessee

Default I know when

I can afford one, I am buying one!!!! Have not ridden one personally, so can't comment, but know people that do and they LOVE them!

My dad bought one late last fall and offered to let me take it on a late bear trip, (I didn't argue). All I can say is Cadillac. I rode it 110 miles round trip and was completely impressed. I rode every kind of terrain possible on that trip and the Big Boss ate it all up. He has 27" Mud Lites all of the way around which I'm sure helps a lot. The six wheel independant suspension was super smooth compared to my 2006. The motor was not as powerful as I thought it was going to be, but definately has a lot more than my 500. Fuel consumption was pretty bad, if I remember right it took almost 15 gal. to go 110 miles. But best of all, no chains and sprokets. I will also definately be buying one when I can afford one. I will figure out a way to haul enough fuel!

I didnt realize they were 100% shaft drive. What modifications were required to put 27 inch tires on the 4 rear drive wheels?
    Tennessee

No mods, the new ones have 12" wheels all of the way around.

I am confused, web site says they come with 25 inch tires. After previously owning a couple of these just trying to understand how 27's can go on the rear without cutting and stretching the frame.
    Tennessee

Both the 800 Big Boss and the new 800 Ranger have ample room to put larger tires on. 28 on the Ranger and 27 on the Boss with no mods or problems. We have a mud bog and tractor pull for the wheelers here on July 4th and an 800 Big Boss with 27's just drove around the lot with the weight sled! It's an animal

we bought one last season and had the bigger tires put on it, no mods.

This thing is awesome, yes it does use more gas than our other 6x's, but it is a monster. Pretty big bike, made more so for the guys than the ladies but no one at my house knows that. It went everywhere and did great, no complaints at all, definately worth the buy.

And yes, the ride is very, very comfortable

yep the ride is a cadillac...it's got more length between the 2 rear tires so bigger tires fit it better, it's also a bit wider than the old one. lot's of power, definetely don't need to hit the throttle as much as the 500's. fuel consumtions is a bit more, but what do you expect out of an 800 cc motor? also the fuel tank is 1 gal smaller than the older models, so that makes it seem like it's burning more. you can feel the extra weight & width compared to riding the older 6x6....good luck

4.25 gallons on 2000-2008 models

4.1 gallons on new 800 Big Boss

Yes, less fuel but not by much.

My ridding buddy has a new 800 6x6. This is his third 6x6. First being a 400 2-stroke which he rode for about 8 years then upgraded to a 500 and now the new 800. No comparison - the 800 is 10 times more smooth and comfortable than either of the old ones he owned. He also had 6 new 27" MudLites put on. Yes it is a bit of a fuel hog but Polaris 800's are known to be thirsty even in a 4x4 atv. And yes it is heavier then the old ones but you added all shaft drive and a twin motor. I've ridden both of his old ones for lots of miles and the new one for a few miles. If I had the money I'd have one too.

Default 800 6x6

I've got a 500 and an 800. The new 800 is a huge step up in ride, power and fuel consumption. It you are using low range all day in tough country, it'll use up that 4.1 gallons in 30-40 miles. But it will haul anything you can put in the bed. Last summer I hauled in 60 gallons of fuel in a double axle trailer with lots of other gear, and a musk ox and five caribou out. Drove right through several mudholes that left the 4 wheelers in need of a tow. My son was driving the 500 and did the extractions.

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

Default New Big Boss

Where in Anchorage/Valley would be the best place to pick up a new 2009 or 2010? I'm not currently in the state so I don't have the luxury to visit the different shops, but any suggestions on the prefered dealer would be appreciated.

And for those who have added taller tires, did you get them any wider?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Blacktails View Post
    Where in Anchorage/Valley would be the best place to pick up a new 2009 or 2010? I'm not currently in the state so I don't have the luxury to visit the different shops, but any suggestions on the prefered dealer would be appreciated.

And for those who have added taller tires, did you get them any wider?

Thanks
    I am not a polaris guy but my uncle and several friends seem satisfied with Hatcher Pass Polaris.

Default Eagle River polaris. best dealers and mechanics

in the state of alaska. From this guys perspective.

Default My vote

Big Lake Power Sports / Southport Marina, Big Lake, Alaska. I have also heard good things about Hatchers Pass, but never used them.

If there is no dealer loyalty spend the time to call each one and get a quote. Get several quotes from each dealer (stock, w/mods, etc.) and go with whoever is cheapest. You can always take your wheeler to a different dealer who has a better reputation for service. However, IME, the best price is usually the best service.

PM me and I'll tell you about my experience with Big Lake and why I live in Anchorage but deal with Big Lake.

I second the vote on Hatrcher Pass Polaris. A little farther out but much better deals.
    Have a horror story about the polaris dealer in Eagle River. Ripped me off for WORK NOT DONE. Had to get APD and the threat of GRAND THEFT (over charged $540.00) to get my money back. They wanted me to accept STORE CREDIT for the over charge. NOT! Some may like them but I will bad mouth them forever.

Default Hatcher's Pass

Is no longer that far out. They opened a new store right across from the WalMart in the Valley. There is a shopping center behind the Chevy dealer and I think its in there.

http://www.wasillapolaris.com/

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

Appreciate all the suggestions good and bad. Definitely gave me a good starting point. I've called several places and all seem to be pretty close and not willing to move a whole lot. Hopefully pull the trigger in the next couple days.

Has anyone added wider tires, particularlly on the front? I'm looking at either the Zillia's or Mudlites in 27-9-12F & 27-11-12R. Will a spacer be needed for the front and if so, anything to watch out for?

Can't seem to find the Zilla's in Anchorage, but the Mudlites are everywhere. Most of the reading I've done, folks seem to prefer the Zilla's. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.

KB

For pretty much all of the big bore quads 10" wide fronts and 12" wide rears seems to be the best balance for the average guy, possible go 9's up front for an average woman IMHO. I have 12" fronts on a kodiak and it will run through all sorts of bog but it doesn't handle as well as I would like, much harder to steer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast