Thread: Nushagak river float moose hunting

Default Nushagak river float moose hunting

I am looking for any info anybody has on floating the Nushagak river. I am getting a head start on planning a float hunt and would like to try the nushagak river.Flying out of coldfoot with a drop off and pick up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.I am doing my own research but if anybody has done this trip any info would be helpful. Thanks to everyone

Default Coldfoot to Nushagak?

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonman72 View Post
    I am looking for any info anybody has on floating the Nushagak river. I am getting a head start on planning a float hunt and would like to try the nushagak river.Flying out of coldfoot with a drop off and pick up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.I am doing my own research but if anybody has done this trip any info would be helpful. Thanks to everyone
    Are you sure you have your directions right? It's close to 500 miles from Coldfoot to the Nushagak... most folks hunting that area fly out of Dillingham.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default going off of hunt alaska magazine article

the article I read said they drove to coldfoot and flew out from there to the nushagak.I really dont know and Im out of town right now to do more investigating.thank you for the input. I will be checking further into it.

Default $15,000.00+++

Wilson,

Mike S is absolutely correct.
    But yes, you may be able to get an aircraft scheduled out of Coldfoot, for your proposed trip to the Nush. Coyote Air flies a beaver on wheels out of Coldfoot. Owners Dirk and Dannielle will be happy to charge you $15,000.00+ (or twice that amount?)for that type of trip.

I would recommend calling Bay Air in Dillingham. That type of dropoff, using a beaver on floats, should cost between $2000.00+- and $4000.00+- (round trip), depending on where you want to go.

Coldfoot = Ivishek river, Chandalar, ect. GMU 24,25,26 =northern AK
    Dillingham = Nushagak River, Tikchik Lakes, GMU 17 = southwestern AK

Seriously, what journalist, what mag/article suggested a flight connection between Coldfoot and the Nushagak River? Writer/Journalist...There are those that DO...There are those that JUST WRITE.
    Or perhaps you misinterpreted in information in the article.

dennis

perhaps coldfoot to the noatak?

Default Nanushuk

There is a north slope river called the Nanushuk(sp). I'm pretty sure it's a tributary of the Coleville. A coworker flew in for caribou years ago. His group did a dropoff. Coyote Air in Coldfoot would probably know if it's floatable.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default Writers not actually doing the trip

I had a fellow from a large mens magazine, or journal... , that called me this winter about getting pictures of the kenai canoe trails system. He wanted pictures of canoes and people and scenery of the area.
    He was writing an article about the kenai canoe trails, but had never been to Alaska and was doing the write just off of what he had read and what could be offered from folks like me.
    I could have told him that the moose river was a class 5 rapid, and that large mouth bass are abundant in the lakes, and he would have written it.
    Sometimes it happens that way, and other times its just that they got the spelling of the river wrong etc.. but ... We got a nice write up in the journal this April copy...
    Hmmm.. I better reread the article,, I may have told them that the swanson river flows into the Nushagak...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default my mistake

I got my directions mixed up.Looked at too many floats at once. thank for the feed back.