Thread: how stable is a 1648 Jon?

Default how stable is a 1648 Jon?

I'm waiting for my 1648 ATEC Mod V Jon to be built but I'm starting to second guess my decision. The boat is 16' long with a 44" wide floor, 20" side depth with 65" beam. Would an extra ≈ $1,400 and a jump to 56" wide floor and 24" side depth and 80" beam make a huge difference in stability? Keep in mind I want the boat to stay light enough that I can drag it onto the beach or off of a sand bar if I get stuck etc.

the bigger boat will weigh only slightly more but would carry weight easier. Motors being equal, the smaller boat is faster (loaded light). A 1648 is a great little package. I don't think they're all that tippy. 48" bottom is only so stable. A 44" bottom might be a little less stable though.

Wink limited but good

I ran a 1648 Monark (made by Seaark) with a 35 jet and it did well untell I hit the wall as far as load, it would haul 3 guys 1 child and fishing gear up river but 3 guys 1 child fishing gear and 6 silvers was a no go it would just plow. stability wise it was important that everyone stayed in the middle of the boat, with 2 people it would go quite skinny and it was nice to be able to pull it off a sand bar alone.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Years ago we had a 14ft Lowe, three big guys all over 200lbs. standing on the benches with a occasional foot resting on the gunnel, drifting through the open bird sanctuary on the Kenai off Skilak, it never even twitched in a tippy manner. And the reason I mention this location is because sometimes it would drag the bottom in that shallow section right in the middle, and still stay stable.

I would buy a plain old Jon boat if I didn't have another boat already, I love em'! So anything more than just the blank old Jon's must be even better.

You must have loaded it to the gills and changed it's stability, any boat over loaded changes it's attitude and begins to act like a log.

So it sounds like stability isn't too much of a concern with a 1648 Jon.. It's speed vs. load capacity that I should be thinking more of between the two boats... right? If the 1648 is stable enough that a guy can stand up and not worry about rolling over, I spose I'll stick to the original decision.

i have a 1652cc g3 with a 60/40 yam. it is very stable, runs shallow, but is tough to push far by one person. two can get it off a sand bar.
    i wouldnt want to be any narrower for sure as far as room in the boat.

I don't think 56" is necessary but you would be much happier with a 52" than a 44". Lot more room in the boat, little more stable, more load capacity and better hole shot. I have a 1452 and really like the room. Sit it next to a 48" and you can really see the difference in room.

I gotta think a 1648 will be plenty stable though. After seeing youtube vids of guys with 1448 Jon's and high pedastal seats.

About the only way you will flip that boat is to put to big of of jet on it. Props grab, and the jet slips. The problem is when the boat slips it comes around on the wake that you made and there's not much you can do about it.

Talking about a lake here, or something like that.

Rivers are about the same, but as long as you have the water flowing towards you have a little more control.

Going down river is a whole differant story than going up river.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a 18' sprint with a 48" bottom with a 75 jet, and put the whole boat out of the water with a 100 gallons aboard. You could walk around the boat without getting your feet wet.

And I have been running the dang things since I was 10.

ricks pix 500.jpg

Heres a pic of the boat.

Nice boat skipper. I'm getting an ATEC Sockeye 1648 MV w/tunnel

http://www.atecmarine.com/sockeye.html

and putting a Yamaha F40 Jet on it. Nothing too fancy, tillar stearing and no windshield. But I think it'll do great on the Kenai, interior rivers and local lakes.