Thread: .44 Special Winchester 200 gr. Silvertip load data?

Default .44 Special Winchester 200 gr. Silvertip load data?

Can anyone provide the most recent Winchester reloading data for the .44 Special using their 200 gr. Silvertip bullet? Did not see any reloading data at their website?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukshot View Post
    Can anyone provide the most recent Winchester reloading data for the .44 Special using their 200 gr. Silvertip bullet? Did not see any reloading data at their website?

I wish I had the data you need as I have a full case of these bullets I bought years ago from Dillon's. I was shocked at the price they wanted for loaded ammo.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Are any for sale and cost?

Default The latest Lyman handbook

lists a few loads for 200gr bullets in the 44 special.
    1. starting load of 12.0 gr of 2400@599fps.MAX of 13.5gr@838fps.
    2.starting load of 6.7gr Unique@771fps. MAX of7.5gr@854fps.
    There are a few others as well but these were common powders that gave good velocities. The Unique load gives the lowest pressures at max charge weight according to the book.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Unique is my favorite powder for the 44 Special case, especially with 4" and shorter barrels. I haven't played with the Silver Tip enough to recommend loads, but I have an old Lyman mold that throws a 205 grain Keith-style bullet with my usual alloy. Coincidence or not, every 44 I've owned, whether Special or Mag, really likes that 7.5 grain charge in a Special case. I used it in loading the single box of Silver Tips I've got loaded, but with half the box still sitting there, I'm in no position to say it's as good with that bullet. But come to think of it, those are the loads that are in the 4" 629 right now in the nightstand next to the bed.

The funny thing about the Silver tip in the .44 is I've never shot anything but flesh with them and they have all been factory loads which I know are up there loads when it comes to velocity. I remember the first time that I shot anything with them (coyote) that I just plain could not believe that my old .44 reaped that kind of destruction, I looked at my old six banger like it was a different kind of animal, hard to believe it was the same gun. I got in the habit of putting it in my lap when I called a coyote so close that my rifle scope saw only hair one day. I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times since. I have killed more animals with the Silver tip bullets than all others combined and never once shot any paper with them. It just seems that the Silver tips preform out of all proportion to any other bullet I have ever shot. Now a days I carry big heavy stuff stuffed in the cylinder for bear and no Hollow points or jacketed stuff ever, but the Silver tips are a spooky kind of bullet.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bukshot View Post
    I have bunches of load data for the 44 Special with just about any size bullet. What powder do you have to use or do you plan to buy powder specifically for this project? What gun and barrel length will you be using and what velocity do you want for that bullet? That bullet for a good personal defense load at about 900 fps is all a 45 ACP can be. I have driven it to 950 fps from my N frame S&W with 3" barrel and that is about 17,000 psi. Well in the normal range for the 44 Special.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?