Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak Fishing News: One Halibut Limit Proposed For 2007 Charters

Arrow Ak Fishing News: One Halibut Limit Proposed For 2007 Charters

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission has proposed a one halibut limit for parts of the summer for charter boat anglers in southeast and southcentral Alaska. The proposal is a response to growing charter fleet catches which in 2006 exceeded the limit set for the fleet.

The Anchorage Daily News reported: "The international panel that manages Pacific halibut will decide this week whether to enforce new one-fish bag limits this summer for Southeast and Southcentral Alaska charter boat anglers.

The current bag limit for charter clients is two halibut per day.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission's staff members suggested the proposal. It's just the latest in a series of attempts to keep the growing halibut charter fleet from exceeding its annual harvest limits in Southeast and Southcentral."

Read the entire article in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to
    webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

I have heard that the commission is also going to increase the commercial limit by 800,000 pounds. Has anyone gotten firm information about that?

They figure out the commercial allocation by region. The Southeast commercial limit is going to drop, if my info is correct. I don't have the stats on hand, though.

I know that a lot of people are upset at this proposal, but I've heard precious little in the way of recommendations for how to stem the growth of the charter catch, particularly in SE.

-Brian

Default IS this a way to eliminate charters?

Just wondering if this the commercial's attempt to eliminate charters? There is no way I will pay $250 for one halibut in a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Just wondering if this the commercial's attempt to eliminate charters? There is no way I will pay $250 for one halibut in a trip.
    Agreed. I can't fathom paying that price to bring home a chicken.

But you'll pay $250 for TWO chickens? That makes no sense. What about one BIG butt?

Default why not

have a yearly fish limit; such as kings where each one gets recorded on your license? that way, you could catch 2 per day on a charter(keep limit at 2 per day), and still catch more for the year later. if the limit was say 10 per year per person, that would still be plenty of halibut for the freezer and the charters would stay around.

sh - That wouldn't address the issue, though. The reason for the 47% overharvest in SE isn't the resident who is trying to fill their freezer - it's the cruise passenger or lodge guest who is just here for a day or three. These people don't catch 10 a year, but with thousands more showing up every day a limit of 2 adds up.

-Brian

Default plus

Also let's not forget this is going to be for (if it even passes) June and July only. For residents if you want two fish then go early or late in the season. It really shouldn't impact your ability to get meat. If you just truly enjoy winching the beasts up from the depths then how many fish you get to keep a day shouldn't really matter, right?

Default June and July this year

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Also let's not forget this is going to be for (if it even passes) June and July only. For residents if you want two fish then go early or late in the season. It really shouldn't impact your ability to get meat. If you just truly enjoy winching the beasts up from the depths then how many fish you get to keep a day shouldn't really matter, right?
    What about next year or the year after? then it will be year round. Most AK residents have family and friends that come up to fish and mostly they come in June or July so be perpared to go fishing for one fish.

And yes the commercial catch is going up by almost a million pounds in 3A alone.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    have a yearly fish limit; such as kings where each one gets recorded on your license? that way, you could catch 2 per day on a charter(keep limit at 2 per day), and still catch more for the year later. if the limit was say 10 per year per person, that would still be plenty of halibut for the freezer and the charters would stay around.
    Because this is a federal managed fishery and not a state managed one.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

"
    What about next year or the year after? then it will be year round. Most AK residents have family and friends that come up to fish and mostly they come in June or July so be perpared to go fishing for one fish.

And yes the commercial catch is going up by almost a million pounds in 3A alone."

And you know that HOW (that it will go to year round)? Look stop trying to get this to be a commercial vs sport thing...it's not. The charter fleet a couple years ago could have gone to a License limitation program but basically killed that and refused to look into other management options. The charter fleet continues to grow unchecked. They continue to harvest fish unchecked. If the fleet would just get together, and come up with a reasonable framework of License limitation, a buyback, a hard cap, days fished, or SOMETHING. then this could be fixed. Charter guys got themselves into this mess, and need to get together to think of a way to work it out. IPHC and the Feds, and the commercial fleet are NOT out to stop charter fishing. They (feds, and IHPC are mandated to manage each fishery for substainable yield, and continued biomass. ) They are attempting to do this by one of the few tools they have (limiting fish). There are other options but they require participation form all users.

Also so what if visitors of mine will have to fish for one fish? IF they want to catch a 200lb butt they will try to. I really doubt this will hurt the charter fleet that much. Everyone wants to believe it will, but remember the head tax on the cruiseships last year? Everyone (charter assc. included ) said that it would hurt their business. Guess what? The cruiseships are maxed out, and the forecast is for the most tourists ever. C'mon folks the sky is not fallling.

Better watch out or they will limit the days you can fish as a charter. Shoot, I bet they will go state wide with all guided fishing to limit any new businesses. This is what I was afraid of when they imposed the log books to the fresh water guiding businesses. Mark my words...

George

Any decisions been made yet?? If not when is one expected? If this passes it will be the begining of a quick end to the majority of the halibut charter fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Better watch out or they will limit the days you can fish as a charter.
    George - This is the exact point that AKbrownsfan was trying to make. They have to come up with some sort of limitation because the charter business won't do it for themselves. When the charter operations refuse to consider any sort of solution to the growing fleet and havest, they effectively take themselves out the equation.

Don't like the idea of day limitations? What is your alternative?? Clearly something must be done to protect the resource.

-Brian

Not sure what the answer is just know my family's annual 'but trip will be cancelled if this goes into effect. Funny thing is, that money will get spent on sportfishing, just not for halibut in PWS. If you ask me the old school charter guys are going to get screwed by this.

What brings in more state/local money? Sportfishing/tourism or commercial fishing. Honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by futurerancher View Post
    Not sure what the answer is just know my family's annual 'but trip will be cancelled if this goes into effect.
    Why? The proposal as written will only change the limit to 1 fish during June. Can't go during May, July, or August?

-Brian

It was my understanding the charter catch exceeded it's limit by 300,000 lbs. The skipper and crew catch was estimated at 300,000 lbs. It seems logical to restrict skipper and crew from harvest during a charter. Allowing the commercial catch to increase when we are worried about over harvesting seems ridiculous.

Perhaps increasing the commercial quota right now isn't a wise choice, but it should be noted that the commercial fleet has been under its catch limit every year since the trasition to the IFQ system. There are harsh penalties in place for commercial boats that go over their quota - why not put hard limits on the charter fleet and hold them accountable for staying within the GHL as well? So much animosity is directed at the commercial fleet, but the charters seem completely unwilling to police their own.

-Brian

B_M, so in reality 1 fish in June really won't do anything to the overall harvest, it would just put more pressure in different times of the year. Only a few tourist fish that won't be caugh, overall, it may not make the reduction that the Commission wants.
    Why don't the commercial guys be good stewards of the resource and not take an increase in quota and allow that to go to the guided sportfish quota?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast