Thread: Looking for Small Palmed Moose Antlers

Default Looking for Small Palmed Moose Antlers

I'm looking for small moose antlers to use for calling. Something like you would find on a 25 to 35-bull. Drops or matching set are fine. Let me what you have and what you want.

Tim

Iíve got a pair you can have, there not very good for calling, what you need is a scapula. It sounds more like an antler than a antler does. If you want I can give you a demonstration.

Good luck on your quest. Try a wooden oar if you can't find them.

Default Scapula all the way

The scapulas are more hollow, and make better raking sounds. I would just say on the next moose you or one of your friends kill save a scapula.

I've got a single, small shed you can have. It's off a 2-3 year old bull. It looks more like a 4 point browtine than a primary antler.

I agree that a scapula is a better calling device. For anyone interested in a scapula that will last nearly forever....try making a scraping paddle out of any fiberglass object...an old tub or shower insert, a salt screen off of a trailer, or an old cafeteria tray. Real scapulas fall apart fairly quickly.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll defenately keep the scapula on the next one but i would still like to get a nice set of small palms though.

Default good idea, with pros and cons

I've successfully used scapulas but have a buddy that has a nice set of antlers like you are looking for that he uses....he's had em for more than ten years and I think they sound good, but I have a hard time geting more than a season out of scapulas....the good thing though is that they are obviously easier to find, lighter and do make a great sound.

It helps to varnish the edges of the antlers as they wear....otherwise they can waterlog which further breaks em down...

Sorry to post but not be of direct help, but you are on the right track, they work great and the best part of antlers is you can wack a tree as hard as you want to get that far reaching "thud" sound that is often the first thing I hear when a moose responds to my scraping. Hard to do with scapulas.

Whatever you pick up, it also works great to clack em together as well as scrape...this also carries a long way and I have attracted everything from spikes to 60 inchers this way. They come in all hot and bothered thinking there is a fight goin on and they weren't invited.

I also go threw scapulas every two or three years until I realized you do not need to beat it to death. Moose have very good hearing something like 100x better than a hunter; and if you sound like a big bull you could scare away a small bull. So less is better.

I also varnish the whole scapulas not just the end.

Default caribou shovels

I use a pair of big caribou shovels. I like the way they sound when rattling, yet they are still light and easy to carry. I drilled a hole in the base end of each and put a string through it so I could carry them around my neck. They scrape well too and will not break or wear out.

That sounds like the way to go goaty.

Thanks Catch it. I agree with you on the antlers. It's easier to get the "thud" sounds and also for me it's easier to immitate a bull tearing the hell out of the bushes when using heavier antlers.