Thread: vhf handheld?

Default vhf handheld?

hey guys, we are looking to buy a handheld vhf radio..any good choices?..this year it is for the small boat(18')for the ocean, and will use it as backup/shore when we get the big boat next year! willing to spend up to approx 400$ i guess???....any help would be apprec to get my search off in the right direction! thanks larry

I like ICOM. I've got the M88, and I've been very pleased with it.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...8/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    I like ICOM. I've got the M88, and I've been very pleased with it.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...8/default.aspx
    thanks BH, looks nice!...i was wondering if any of these handhelds come with a DC plug in?....it would be great if i could keep it plugged into the dash until i need to use it as a portable unit.....just like my garmin oregon gps, i would be in the poor house if i had to rely on battery power!! thanks larry

Default Most do have DC plugs

All of the Icoms that I have used can be purchased with a DC plug in "AKA cigarette lighter". The Icom M34 and 36 both float I think. And there is one that has six watts of power, maybe the 88? I think that is the max power for a handheld??
    I would recommend Icom they are very good in my opinion. The 34 and 36 are about $160.00

One more vote here for Icom. I think they have the most quality for the dollar. Mine is a 2meter but I assume the marine Icom will be the same high quality.

Lightbulb gps too

Uniden makes a submersible gps/vhf for about $400. I bought one of the first ones a few years ago. The gps is very accurate even at 40 mph. You can also get maps. I broke mine last december bummer. Got smashed in the boat on the nov. deer hunt. Cabellas has em. You can let them get rained on all day no problem.

Icom is good too but I like the uniden.

Default Standard Horizon w/GPS

I have the Standard Horizon HX851. It floats, has a glow in the dard ring around the radio and a bright SOS strobe. It also has a gps receiver and DSC capablilities. You just program the MMSI from the main boat or get one online. It has a 12v cigarette lighter plug and a 120v charger. Sorry to sound like a salesperson but Ive been playing with it while itching to get on the water.

I paid $225.00 from Iboats.com.

Default They are probably all pretty good...

I have an ICOM main VHF radio and like it a lot, but about 6 years ago I bought two Shakespheare handheld VHF radios and they are still just fine and so are the rechargeable batteries. Do not think they are waterproof, but not sure. In addition to having a 12v DC and 120v AC charger, they also can take AA batteries if the rechargeable batteries go TU. I got them on Ebay for about $90 ea at the time, so went for that deal.

You might check on the ICOM or other radios you are considering and see if they can take conventional backup batteries, not a bad thing to have! And, that waterproof feature is a must for the boat you are going to have the radio in...

I have the Icom that floats and I like it. As I recall I had to buy the DC charger, but it works well. I think they also have an regular battery pack with is a good emergency backup.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Also have a Icom 6watt and it is tough.
    Have gone months with no charge and the kids calling the in-laws.
    They do have a 6w that floats.

thanks for the push in the right direction!!...looks like the Icom will get a serious look at!....i have no experince with radios so will be good to get my feet wet this summer....plan on some fishing trips to the queen charletes/prince rupert and the "work" channel, just south off the portland channel!..will be able to see the USA from there..thanks again larry