Thread: My First Raft...

Default My First Raft...

I picked up a new raft recently. A 16í NRS river cat. Itís my first raft. Iíve oared a couple different rafts before on the Kenai, Gulkana, and Willow (an NRS Otter, AIRE Super Puma, and an AIRE Jag). I havenít dropped her in the drink yet, but Iím hoping to do a short maiden voyage on the Kenai this weekend. Just waiting on my oars to come in.
    Iím stoked, and my summer weekends are already filling up!

Very Nice! Looks like a boat load of fun!

AK-Bandit

Looks like a lot of fun for you-fam&friends. Kenai rainbows and reds, beware.
    The great thing about rafting is that it is such a cheap activity once the initial purcahse of the raft has been made. Right?
    What type of trailor are you going to get?

Welcome to the inflatable brotherhood.

Dennis

Thumbs up

Great looking ride. Our cat has brought so much fun and adventure to my wife and I, I cannot describe it. We have had so much fun exploring and fishing streams it is amazing. One of the best purchase's I have ever made
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default goose bumps

So you put the raft in the water, you load all the gear,, you have the vehicles parked, you put on your life vest.
    everyone on board.... push off... pull on the sticks to get you away from the bank......................... and then ... this feeling of goose bumps.. like an adrenaline rush comes over me.... and I just want to yell out Yahooooooo..
    and guess what,,, I feel the same way every time no matter how many years have passed...
    When I am on a remote river and I finally push off... I do make a huge war cry to the heavens.. not caring if the wildlife thinks I am nuts..
    just like chuck says...
    exploring and fishing streams it is amazing.
    could not be more excited for you..
    congratulations..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Smile

Congrats on a very fine cat.
    You will make many a memories with it. Remember to take a camera everytime you go out.
    Enjoy

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Yeah! Cool boat man...looks very similar to my first one. Enjoy.

loved your post akcanoe. the battle cry/woohoo after push off is mandatory. man, we are lucky fother muckers.
    take care, abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    So you put the raft in the water, you load all the gear,, you have the vehicles parked, you put on your life vest.
    everyone on board.... push off... pull on the sticks to get you away from the bank......................... and then ... this feeling of goose bumps.. like an adrenaline rush comes over me.... and I just want to yell out Yahooooooo..
    and guess what,,, I feel the same way every time no matter how many years have passed...
    When I am on a remote river and I finally push off... I do make a huge war cry to the heavens.. not caring if the wildlife thinks I am nuts..
    just like chuck says...

could not be more excited for you..
    congratulations..
    Max

Max you covered it way better than I did. Something about that push off, feeling the boat bob a bit under you, Hearing the water lapping at the tubes. Watching my wife cast her fly rod. Putting the oars up and just taking that deep breath and taking it all in. Now that is a turn on
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Smile Nice

Congrats on a fine set up! Great Frame out option on it. You will enjoy for many years.

:-)

Thanks! You guys are getting me even more excited.
    I've got it setup right now as a Kenai cadillac family fishing rig (heavy!). I'll be removing the 2 rear seats and possibly the middle floor piece when my brother, a buddy and I take it on the Gulkana this summer.

We finished the floors and front deck this past weekend. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. We put 5 coats of spar urethane on the bottoms and sides of 3/4" plywood, then on the top we taped off about an inch from the sides and then herculined it.

For the trailer, I'll be using my dad's 4 place snowmachine trailer until I find a more suitable option. It'll probably be a b!tch parking it in certain areas, but it's all I have available right now. It's a fairly new trailer, so should I bother with putting down a couple strips of indoor/outdoor carpet that run the length of the tubes? The aluminum and plywood deck is pretty smooth.
    Sorry for the lame pics, they were taken with my phone.

Unless the trailer deck is really nasty, I wouldn't bother with carpeting it for the sake of boat fabric wear. But some types of carpet do make it easier to slide on & off.

Thanks Jim. The deck is in great shape, so I ended up washing the trailer deck of any debris and called it good.
    The short maiden voyage was a success! It was a gorgeous day on the Kenai this weekend. We floated from Sportsmans to Jims. Just my wife and I in the picture. But we had my dad, brother, and a buddy along also. I wanted to load the blue barge down to see how she'd handle with a full load. Not exactly a mosquito on the water, but she still handled great.

Great pics and great boat! I'm sure you'll have many great memories with your craft and even more great pictures to share! Good luck with your new memory machine!