Thread: SIG P238 Range Report

Default SIG P238 Range Report

I got some new grips in the mail today from rhynotek.com, and with the ".380 Stopping Power" thread, I figured this would be a great time to try out some new ammo at the range. Sportsman's Wearhouse had a brand new shipment of 90 grain .380 +P Buffalo Bore, which was perfect. I've never shot Buffalo Bore in .380 before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Well I literally just got back from the range, and HOLLY CRAP! Normally firing the SIG P238 is a pleasure. There's generally no recoil at all. Firing Buffalo Bore, however, was like firing a completely different gun. My hand was killing me afterwards. I can't believe what a huge difference it made. I didn't do any sort of ballistics test with them, but if they can make a bad guy feel half as bad as they made my hand feel, than I feel sorry for the bad guy. The only issue I have with them is the fact that they significantly reduced my accuracy, so I'm sort of reluctant to carry them as a defensive load. Might require some practice (which will get expensive). We'll see.

By the way, what do you think about the new grips? I'm not sure how I feel about them yet...

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    By the way, what do you think about the new grips? I'm not sure how I feel about them yet...

I think they look sharp!

I have a sig 238 and thought it kicked less than my other 380s(seecamp, ruger lcp, and sig 232). That must be some hot ammo if it kicks that hard. What did your brass lool like afterwards? Any signs of over pressure loads?

Honestly I didn't even think to look at my brass. I agree with you that the 238 has almost no recoil at all normally. Those Buffalo Bores are +P's though, so they're definitely hot loads. I was shocked at what a huge difference they made.