Thread: Nickle or gold plated pixies?

Default Nickle or gold plated pixies?

Hi,
    I am about to order some pixies for the coming season and would like your opinion on which is the better metal finish--nickle or gold plated. As far as the plastic insert I seem to have my best luck with the fluorescent red but would like your input on the metal color.

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply.

I prefer chrome for glacial or silted streams (Kenai, Ship).

I prefer gold for clearwater/tannic streams.

Red or pink for the inserts.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

OOPS... just saw this was in the saltwater forum.

If you're pitchin' or trolling pixies in the salt, CHROME all the way.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I also feel that chrome works the best. My favorite insert is the blue one for what its worth

If it's a gold/nickel comparison I'm throwing nickel. If it's a nickel/gold/holographic comparison I'm throwing holographic. Once I tried the holographic pixie I told myself I'll never go back to the nickel. I've caught kings out of ship ck, silvers out of Seward, Whittier, Homer, and Kodiak. I've taken halibut on the Holographic Pixie in Kodiak too.

I'd get a couple gold ones too. I added some gold spoons when I saw how much more effective they can be on really bright days - a little less reflective can be a good thing.

i have success with both, but Nickel is by far more versital. IMO i try gold when all my nickel colors fail. But not to say they are not usefull, because at times they the most productive..
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

This is like the proverbial "what is the best gun for Alaska" thread. I have had good success on both. I try to keep an assortmant of lures in my box. I have one old Vibrax in my box that has caught so many fish and I have had to replace the hook on it. It is ugly and pretty banged up, but what can I say, it has produced a lot of fish. Why not buy a few of each?

Tite lines and leave a couple for me

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    This is like the proverbial "what is the best gun for Alaska" thread. I have had good success on both. I try to keep an assortmant of lures in my box. I have one old Vibrax in my box that has caught so many fish and I have had to replace the hook on it. It is ugly and pretty banged up, but what can I say, it has produced a lot of fish. Why not buy a few of each?

Tite lines and leave a couple for me
    I agree with everything you said.
    I had an old #4 blue vibrax that caught more fish anything else. I might just be supersticious but it seemed like the other #4 blues just wasn't the same. I had to throw it away though, the hook broke and it stoped spining right (i think the shaft was bent). but yea its good to have a well rounded arsenal for the fish..
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Default Variety is king

I agree with most of what everyone said here. For Salt and most versatility I would go with the nickle (white metal) color. Having a couple gold around for certain lighting can be a plus though.

Personally in rivers I LOVE the flash holographic coatings with the blueish tint on the flash and a red insert. Nothing seems to produce like it in clear water rivers like I fish in in SE.

Variety is the way to go. Have a few choice in your box, not 15 lures all of the same color.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

I'd go with chrome if the cloud cover percentage is anything more than 78%. If it's between 77% and 43% I'd go with gold. Anywhere below 42% I'd use one that is about half and half.

Just joking.

Buy a bunch of each and try one for half an hour and then the other for half an hour and keep switching. Like a number of people have already said, it depends on so many different variables it's not even worth trying to figure out.

It's like the old gold prospecting saying, "Gold is where you find it."

Use whatever works for you. As you can see from this thread, if you ask 20 people for their opinion on what boils down to a 50/50 sort of question chances are you're going to get 10 people that say one thing and 10 that say another.

If I were you I'd use a "rainbow" colored Tee-spoon. That's always worked for me.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com