Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanton Waste

Default Wanton Waste

Found this bear carcass today in the Knik River. Someone shot it and took the fur and skull but did not bother to harvest the meat. Illegal at this time of year. Called the troopers, but probably nothing they can do now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

call F&G too, the hide and skull still need to be sealed...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Unless of course it was a Brown Bear.

It was too small to be a brown bear. Small even for a blackie.

Post Still a chance...

It would cost some dough, but if they had a sample of the DNA from that carcass and bumped it against the DNA they get when sealing...they may be able to find out who did it...of course if it's a black bear that is...otherwise, perfectly legal if it's a brown bear...not sure leaving the carcass in the water was the thing I would do, but hey...

AZinAK
    Last edited by AZinAK; 05-03-2010 at 16:02. Reason: clarification

Sad and pathetic are the two words that stick out most right now. I for one bust my ***** to have the opportunity to harvest an animal for the meat and some folks do this??? Black bear meat is a favorite among my family.

I dont care for bear meat. I personaly dont like eating bear. Its the only wild game i dont like. Thats why i wont shoot a bear. If you dont want to eat it why kill it?

Do blacks have to be sealed there?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Knik is 14A - 1 black bear by harvest ticket.

Have to remove skull, meat and hide with evidence of sex attached and sealed within 30 days.

It looks like in the photo they might have left the willy attached to the hide but the two bits are still there .....maybe.

Default ...

Before we bash the site of this pic, lets remember we DON'T know the circumstances of it being harvested. I realize it looks bad, but for all we know it was legal.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Blackies have to be sealed within 30 days here in unit 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Before we bash the site of this pic, lets remember we DON'T know the circumstances of it being harvested. I realize it looks bad, but for all we know it was legal.

The only way this bear would be legal is if it was a DLP killing.

Let's see...

It's early May.

We have a photo of a bear carcass taken today by a credible witness. The witness verified the location of the carcass. Bears killed before June 1st in this GMU must have the meat salvaged. While there is no proof the bear was killed in the same GMU where the carcass was located, it is highly probable.

Said photo shows no evidence of scavanging by ravens or gulls, both prevalent in the Knik drainage and neither deterred by water, and the carcass clearly shows no salvage of meat.

This leads me to believe this bear was killed yesterday.

From the evidence it is very likely that wanton waste violation has been committed.

Given the recency of the kill and the probability that a hide/skull of similar dimensions will soon be taken to either the Anchorage or Palmer ADF&G office for sealing, AWT has an excellent opportunity to score a win on the WW front.

I for one hope they follow up on this.

We talk a lot of policing our own...this is how we do it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Was there bear tracks near by? It looks pretty bloated. How do you know it was not a fall bear killed, froze and just thawed out and floated down stream? Without seeing it in person, I can't tell how old it really is. The legs and neck area look blacker. Like it could be from late fall/ early winter.

Default ?

What has melt off been like down in that area? Is it possible that this could be a kill from before winter and it is just now thawed and floated down river?

From the pic, it definitely looks fresh, but I did not see it first hand, so I thought I throw out the idea.

Hopefully, AWT do follow-up on this matter. I have never harvested a bear and hope this year will be my first. I really hate to see one end of like this if it is an illegal kill. I have had plenty of black bear meat and me and family really enjoy it!!

Terry

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The only way this bear would be legal is if it was a DLP killing.
    DLP would have required the meat salvage also... NO? ( except in griz)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default meat

I didnt know in AK bear meat had to be salvaged. The picture posted is normal here as we are not required to salvage bear meat, some do but the vast majority do not. Hides have to be taken of course. Black bear hunting is a good management tool and here at least if we had to salvage meat there would be very few bears taken. Why after June do you no longer have to take the meat?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I didnt know in AK bear meat had to be salvaged. The picture posted is normal here as we are not required to salvage bear meat, some do but the vast majority do not. Hides have to be taken of course. Black bear hunting is a good management tool and here at least if we had to salvage meat there would be very few bears taken. Why after June do you no longer have to take the meat?
    for those areas that may get fishy or trash bears...i have never had a bad black bear but i guess some are kinda rank according to others..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I ride this area a lot. When an animal dies it is quickly consumed by ravens, coyotes, wolves and eagles. A moose that had fallen and broken its legs was still alive when we passed by it and a week later when we passed by it was a pile of bones. There was an eagle waiting to start eating this bear as I rode up and it had not been touched yet.

Default If they illegally ditched the meat...

what makes you think they'd get the hide/head sealed? Especially now after it's been published all over the internet? Perhaps this could have been kept a little more quiet in hopes to catch the dirt bag (if he is one) at the ADFG office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast