Thread: Knot Tying Tool

Lightbulb Knot Tying Tool

As a gear junkie, I'm always looking for practical items to add to the tackle box or attach to my fishing vest.

Anyone find value in using a device like this to tie nail knots, or is it just another unnecessary gimmick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdQb958d28

Very slick. Wish I was as coordinated as the person in the vid.

Is this the same tool as what Danatherock has mentioned as being available from Cabelas?

I use that tool. It works great. Its small and easy to throw in the tackle box or put in your pocket. I have trouble tieing a nail knot by hand. That tool rocks!

The guy at sportsmans, who got all my gear ready for fly fishing had the tool also, and swears by it. I made sure to watch him use it, pretty spiffy ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I use it, but just for tying leader to fly line with a nail knot. I will have to try the other uses they showed in the video.

woops double post
    Last edited by ret25yo; 05-03-2010 at 18:23. Reason: woops double

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I prefer looped fly line attached by loop to my braided leader and the only thing I have to tie is my tippet to the leader loop and then to my fly. I find it much easier to use and have been using them for 5-6 years.

Default I love that tool

I have tied my own mooching rigs for about ten years now with that tool and I wouldnt leave home without it.

I learned how to tie nail knots with that tool. Its easy, and ties great nail knots. I never knew you could tie a double nail not to make a blood knot or double surgeons loop. I will have to give it a try.

Oh and yeah I like the tool. I have only used it to tie on leader to fly line though. Thanks for the video.

I got one of these tools about 14 years ago. It's still on my vest; even bought a spare to keep in the box. They are great, for more than just your nail knots.

I tried it an tossed it. Actually gave it to a friend who's a gear junkie, but I think he's got it in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. That's cuzz I showed him how to tie a nail knot without a tool.

It's so easy you can probably do it blindfolded in the dark, once you understand that all a nail knot really is, is a Uni-knot. Just make the knot about a foot up from the end of your fly line, pull it almost tight, then slide it down to the end of your fly line before tightening it. You can do it in about 30 seconds with very little practice.

I like a good tool about as much as the next guy, but this one will have it's most value about 100 years from now on the Antiques Road Show when no one knows what it is.

I also tossed my first one..bought it again, dunno why...ended up loosing it and havent bothered to look for it, oh well. I use a large saftey pin for nail nots. Blood knots I do by hand simple enough. Never bothered with a double nail knot, dont see the need for it.

Have actually had a harder time using this tool then a large saftey pin and the saftey pins are MUCH cheaper (ammo bandoliers for you military types work snaztastic, I have a few hundred left LOL).

Large saftey pins also work great for picking out wind knots and cleaning heads of cement or other goo....along with picking devils club and other thorny things from your hands

Forgot to add....if you cant do a regular nail knot without a tool...learn to tie the nailless nail knot. There is such a thing and it works great!

I use a nail knot tool that is attached to my nippers, this works pretty slick and I dont have to carry an additional item.

Its the cheaper version of this one:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
    I think I paid about $5 for it.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Default just bought

the tool last week. Works great. Like a lot of guys I only have used it for the leader to fly line. But well worth the $7 at Sportsmans.