Thread: Seward Harbor to Coho Fishing Grounds

Default Seward Harbor to Coho Fishing Grounds

Have some family coming up on late notice and I've decided to try and get them out on a silvers trip in Seward. Never done the trip myself and I can say that I am looking forward to it. They are not wanting to spend more than a few hours out on the ocean though and want to do a half day out. Half day trips run around 5 hours, 6AM to 11AM from what I have seen. On average, what is the length of time from Seward Harbor to the "Good" fishing grounds in late July?

You're probably talking Pony Cove for silvers in July. Maybe 45 minutes give or take if I remember correctly.

Harbor to Agnes Cove is 26 miles...around the corner to Pony just add a couple miles. Most charters that I`ve been out with cruise about 25mph...so an hour each way. Good news is that if you get into good silver fishing the boat will limit in less than two hours.

Actually in LATE July if nature cooperates you probably are going to find silvers closer in than Pony. The south side of Fox is a really good spot that often finds the silvers early on like that and sometimes even as close in as Caine's Head.

I used to fish Pony regularly in the middle of June and catch silvers. But obviously it depends on how the run is going.

Thanks for the info everyone. I hate having to book half day charters but it doesn't look like there is any other way around it. Fishing is fishing and I'll take as much of it as I can get right now!

Nothing wrong with a 1/2 day trip, as mentioned its about a 1 hour run to Pony/Chevalle Narrows. When the fish are in, the fishing is great and about as much fun as you can have on the salt.

Even though the water is somewhat protected, you still get swells coming in from the gulf, so have them take something for sea sickness.

Yeah, if you book a charter any reputable guide is going to have a pretty fair idea of where there are fish. So if they're in closer than Pony that guide isn't going to burn twice as much gas just to get you your fish. Especially on a half day. And if they have to go all the way to Pony, and there are fish there, limiting on a good day doing a half day charter isn't out of the question.

I went ahead and confirmed a 1/2 day charter yesterday. Hope it's worth it. I think for an extra 60 bucks per person committing to the whole day is best, but, I love to fish and be on the water, they don't. It's their trip, we'll make the most of what they want to do. Good to know a 1/2 day "Should" be enough as long as the fish show up. Couldn't get on the highly recommended Cracker Jack or Pro Fish n Sea though.

Default Good Luck, it will be a blast!

supern8inak,
    I think you'll be happy wwith you're trip, there are usually a bunch of silvers in by that time. You should have no problem limiting-out in a half day if the run is in strong and your captain knows where they are!
    Best of luck,
    -J

You might just find that you spend as much time fishing on a 1/2 day as you do a full day, just lest time riding on the boat. And while I love bottom fishing, fishing of silvers with lighter tackle and having them race around is about as much fun as you can have on the salt.

Many times you only need a half day to catch your limit. It is not uncommon to run a half day charter and limit out in less than an hour.
    Good luck and I hope your family enjoys themselves.