Thread: hiking tent

Default hiking tent

Can someone give me an example of a good hiking tent that is light weight and suitable for 1+ to 2 people?

Im somewhat cost conscious so anything by some Gucci outdoor gear manufacturer that charges ridiculous prices simply because of their name is not what Im looking for. thanks in advance.

Personally I look for something in the 6 lb range (or less-with rain-fly), 3 or 4 season, free standing, easy to set up. Beyond that, it's about personal comfort. I like to have big air vents and pockets in the walls and a mesh basket in the ceiling for stashing stuff. And having factory sealed seams, since I don't want to mess with it. The floor shape can be important- make sure it's wide enough on one end to accommodate both your shoulder widths plus leave a bit of room because you don't want to pressed right up into the wall- condensation can roll on you and it's just not comfortable anyway. Make sure the tent is long enough for you to lay down in plus a bit, and a bit more if you plan on bringing in any of your gear. A vestibule as part of the rain-fly can be nice for stashing your packs if it rains.

One of my favorite tents, believe it or not, came from Fred Meyer. It met all the above criteria, was simple to set up, and held up to years of trips. You can pick up a nice tent without spending a lot.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Depends on what your looking for. A really good tent in the less the 100 dollar range and weighs in right at 5 pounds is the Eureka Apex. Used mine for for several years and it performed flawlessy. You can get them on ebay for around 75 dollars.

I have since moved to a MSR Carbon Reflex. Took me some time to find one on E-Bay that I got for just somewhat expensive rather then then holy crap price of 500 dollars, but it is the only 2 person double wall tent under 3 pounds.

A lot depends on what your looking for. I like a fully enclosed tent. You can get a fly tent, single wall, that uses your trekking poles to put up and keep it to less then two pounds.

My goal this year was to be able to go fully equipped at under 40 pounds. Has not been easy or cheap, but I made it. When it comes to backpacking the more you pay the less you get. (weight)

Default Backpackinglight.com reviews...

Backpackinglight.com requires a subscription for some of the reviews, but the list might be helpful and many of the reviews are free:

http://search.backpackinglight.com/i...=0&zoom_sort=0

...includes #7. Kelty Flight 2, $129.

And REI Advice: I also find REI's Expert Advice articles usually excellent. Here's one for backpacking tents that gets at the tradeoffs between space, weight and price - just depends how much performance you need:
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...king+tent.html. At the end of the article, you can click for some of REI's 2-man tent suggestions.

When you find a tent (or two) that seems to suit your needs, it can be useful to post your selections to get some feedback. Plenty of folks doing fine outdoors here without $600 tents.

Good luck.

If cost is of concern this is a great option for a 1-2 man tent.

Its 33 sqft so it would easily work for two people. Freestanding (doesn't require stakes to stand the tent up, just the vestibule), under 6 pounds, 11 sq ft vestibule for packs, gear or cooking out of the elements, and has a bathtub style floor up the sides to you don't have to worry about water running into your tent.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...-3-Season.html

If you sign up for the deal flyer in your email it can be had for 25 or even 30% off the listed price (30% off would make it only $91), thats pretty affordable in anyones book.

We've had an REI halfdome for almost 20 years, a good basic 2 person tent. It's been revised a few times since then. If you have an REI 20% off coupon, it is fairly reasonbly priced.

Another fan of the REI Half Dome. Good all around tent at a reasonable price. It has been one of their best sellers for a long time. Stop in and look at it. Be sure to talk o their sales people and get their ideas. There are a lot of good tents out there, but this one should be on your short list.

Thanks for all the responses. Ill get to work on the research. Unfortunately, I just found out this morning that Ill be moving to North Carolina at the end of the summer.

Default Linville Gorge...

I just saw the Linville River area included in a list of worthwhile hikes in a recent Backpacker mag I think. Here's more info if you make it to western NC:
    1. http://www.backpacker.com/search/?q=linville&x=0&y=0
    2. http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...91126975;&#top
    3. http://eventful.com/asheville/events...01-027563646-2.

Good luck.

I've hiked Linville falls and visited Linville caverns. It's a very nice area.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Try a British army Basha..

I've been using this REI tent for about 3 years now and I love it. I got the footprint with it so that I can just take it and the rain fly if I want to go really light.

http://www.rei.com/product/761893

It was definitely worth the money.